IMG_2642.jpg

After tree removal...

IMG_2653.jpg

Hole dug...

DSC04106.jpg

DSC04105.jpg

IMG_2862.jpg

Will post more as we progress...

More pics. We had an issue with the dig... they said they used the wrong dig sheet, then said it was ok. I'm not sure about these panels that are sitting on lumber. They say they'll end up in concrete so it doesn't matter...

DSC04121.jpg

DSC04123.jpg

DSC04121.jpg

Bfassler you will see some strange ways to build a polymer wall system when an operator over digs a hole. But as the pb said it will have concrete around the bottom of the wall. We built one on 88x16 cinder blocks because the homeowner changed where the pool went after we dug the hole. Almost ten years and pool is still in place.

I've been keeping a log of everything to date. I thought it might be interesting to others getting ready to start a pool... I will update as we progress.

If I didn’t make a note on a day, it should be assumed that nobody came.

7/17/12 – Husband asked Pool Company Owner to call Dig Rite.

7/18/12 – Finally signed our pool contract today. Pool Company Owner told us that they should be able to start in about two weeks (around 8/1) and the pool should take about 3 weeks to complete. That would put us around 8/22 (not setting expectations…). He said he called Dig Rite on 7/17.

7/20/12 – The trees are down thanks to husband and dad… there are lots of holes in our backyard.

7/25/12 – provided subdivision association approval on permit paperwork. Husband signed the paperwork with the city. Dig Rite came to the house.

7/26/12 – have provided all cosmetic choices, including stone, to Pool Designer and Pool Company Owner.

7/31/12 – worked with Pool Designer to move a set of steps slightly.

8/3/12 – Pool Company Owner supposed to come this morning at 8a-9a to shoot grade and layout pool. Husband called at 9 and was told 10:30. Called at 11 and was told 2:30. They showed up at 2:45. They put some spray paint where the pool would approximately go. Pool Company Owner and Foreman said they would be back on Monday to smooth the dirt from the tree removal and do a formal layout of the pool on Tuesday so they can start digging on Wednesday.

8/6/12 – Foreman called Husband and said the pool walls won't be in until at least 8/13 so there was no point in start anything until Thursday, 8/9.

8/7/12 - Husband called Pool Company Owner to ask him to call Dig Rite again. They didn't mark any lines on the sides of our house the first time they came.

8/8/12 – Husband called Foreman and asked that he be at our house by 8am on Thurs. Foreman agreed.

8/9/12 – It’s Thurs morning and no sign of Foreman. Husband texted him to see where he was and he called back and said he was on his way and needed to pick up the dig sheet. Foreman called Husband around 10 and said the dig sheet is not ready because we moved the steps (on 7/31) and he’d rather just come on Monday to start. He promises they’ll be ready to go on Monday (8/13). Monday will be 2 days less than 4 weeks since we signed our contract.

8/13/12 – The guys started to dig the pool today. They were missing their customary dig sheet and using something they’ve never used before, so we are wary that things will turn out ok. Husband called the dig sheet company and they should be sending the usual paperwork asap. The pool panels are supposed to be here Wednesday.

8/14/12 – the pool hole is complete and all items were dropped off, including pool panels.

8/15/12 – Inspector approved the hole. No work was done today.

8/16/12 – 8/17/12 – no work done – they said they had to finish up another pool.

8/18/12 – the guys are back today to start working on assembling the panels. They found out that there are 17 panels missing. Turns out the guys dug the hole for the wrong dig sheet. They have the correct amount of panels but dug the wrong hole.

8/20/12 – spent the day with the panel distributor trying to get the right dig sheet. Husband received a call from the gas line guy telling us that a gas permit was not part of the permit process. Husband relayed this to Pool Company Owner who said he would take care of it. We noticed one of the panels outside is broken. Dig Rite finally came and marked everything on the sides of the house. No work was done.

8/21/12 – the guys came back this morning and said the hole they dug should work with the panels we have… I guess I’ll have to trust them. There are panels sitting on pieces of 4x4 lumber carved into the deep end. Makes me nervous. The panels are laid out today and they were working on leveling them when they left.

8/22/12 – today they poured the concrete around the pool panels. They were some areas that weren’t coated in concrete, and some of the panels appeared to not be submerged in concrete. Also, the area where the water feature is going doesn’t appear to be supported any more than the rest of the panels.

8/23/12 – today they finished the concrete and ran plumbing (besides drain and drain tile) and the grounding wire. It’s coming along! They said they would put more support in around the water feature.

8/24/12 – the inspector was supposed to approve the ground wire today, but it failed because of something being wrong around the slide area. Pool Company Owner and Foreman came out to fix it. Inspector supposed to return Monday. Not sure if anyone will work on the pool Monday now…

8/27/12 – nobody worked today – it was raining yesterday and this morning. Muddy mess outside. The electrician was supposed to stop by and collect a deposit, but he never showed. Electrician called late tonight and said he would be here at 8am. Inspector approved rough electrical.

8/28/12 – Electrician never showed. Husband called him around 9 and he said he would be here later today and tomorrow instead. He showed up this afternoon to collect a deposit. He’s coming back tomorrow to work. Pool guys came to drop off a load of rock. There is still water sitting in the deep end of the pool from the rain this weekend. It is a complete mess – there are lots of runoff marks in the pool floor and the mud from the sides of the pool collected over the concrete that they poured around the panels last week. Supposedly they are coming back to work tomorrow again and are bringing a pump to get the water out of the deep end. It’s supposed to rain cats and dogs this weekend from Hurricane Isaac.

Pics right now to be posted shortly.

Log for today:

8/29/12 – Electrician worked today. He ended up drilling a hole through our 4-year old $34,000 composite deck. He says he’ll replace the affected boards, but the deck has faded and it’s going to look goofy. Sigh. The pool guys backfilled the rock behind the panels and laid the concrete for the stone coping. We never witnessed them putting concrete into the vertical tubes supporting the panels, so I can only hope they didn’t just bury them. After they laid the rock, husband reminded them they were supposed to put extra supports in for the water feature. So they dug out some of the rock and poured concrete into it. I’m not sure that’s going to support much, but they seemed confident… I could’ve sworn that we discussed drain tile around the pool when we signed the contract, but now they say that the rock will direct the water to the drain tile that will be installed in the trench they dug to drain the water to the back. Nothing in the contract to contradict it so it is what it is. No drain tile around the pool. They put some rock in the area between the shallow end of the pool and the deep end, hoping to stop some of the runoff from the rains expected this weekend. They also put a pump in the deep end to pump off the water that will collect there. Lastly, one of the guys was cleaning up some empty boxes and throwing them into a dumping bag. When he finished, my husband decided to check the bag and found the salt water generator still inside its box! This is supposedly a professional company that’s been in business for 35 years. I am dumbfounded.

Will post pics tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've been delinquent with my posts. If anyone cares to read this, here's the latest from my log and a picture:

8/30/12 – The guys dug the trenches today for the gas and electric, got all the equipment settled on the pump, and started the stone coping. No major snafus today. They did bust a few irrigation lines and cut through an electrical wire for the irrigation system, but they’ve been doing that all along and had warned us about that to begin with. Husband was able to fix. They messed up the pump for the weekend rain they setup, so hoping they come back tomorrow to fix before it starts.

8/31/12 – rain started early today. Got home from work and the gas line was run and the pump was back up and running. Yay! We noticed that there didn’t appear to be any water run for the water feature and the slide. Pool Owner assures us there is. However, he mentioned that the water run for the water feature was using 1.5 inch pipe and he wants to pull up all the concrete and use 2 inch pipe. It’ll be interesting to see how that works out.

9/4/12 – no work done today. Some rain this morning.

9/5/12 – Laclede Gas upgraded the meter today. No pool work. Some rain this morning.

9/6/12 – the guys were here for a few hours today to finish the stone coping.

9/7/12 – no work today. They said they needed to finish up another pool today.

9/10/12 – no work today. Not sure why… no one ever gives us an update unless we call.

9/11/12 – Husband talked to foreman and pool owner today. The plan is to get the water feature stone on the front area (facing the pool) by Wednesday and then do the poolkrete and get the liner in by Thursday end of day. I’ll be shocked if this happens. The guys did get the coping cleaned up (the color was really bad before) and got the front area of the water feature wall done.
9/12/12 – Husband is very mad. Foreman called him this morning and asked him to go to Perryville to get the stone for the water feature. Apparently the stone was supposed to come in yesterday and didn’t. Husband found care for the baby today so that he could be here during the stone work. After a heated discussion, pool owner and foreman are driving to Perryville to get the stone. No work today. Husband taking off work tomorrow to be here. Pool owner promised the crew would be here by 7 to get started. Had a conversation about setting realistic timeframes. We’ll see if there is any difference.

9/13/12 – what a difference a few hours of work makes! The water feature is started and looks great. The poolkrete is down and the liner is in. Water is flowing! It actually looks like a pool!

9/14/12 – the guys came and finished up the water feature wall and the front side is covered with stone. Still wrinkles in the liner. They are coming back tomorrow to put some bonding down for inspection and the concrete decking should get poured Monday if it doesn’t rain.

9/15/12 – a few guys came out today and laid down the mesh for the bonding. They also put up the orange fence around the pool so the inspection would be approved. The water in the pool is starting to inch into the shallow end. One of the guys is trying to get the wrinkles out. He is convinced that the liner isn’t right – he can’t get the wrinkles out.

9/17/12 – It’s pouring down rain today. The concrete guys came and marked out the concrete, but they can’t do much else. Pool owner spent day at liner manufacturer to try to figure out what went wrong.

9/18/12 – the guys came out with the liner manufacturer to take some measurements. Liner rep feels like the liner is wrong, but he needs to prove it to his boss (so he says). No work done today – too muddy for concrete pour.

9/19/12 – the concrete guys laid out the forms and gravel. The pool guys came out with the liner manufacturer again and took some more measurements. They agree we have the wrong liner and assure us they can replace it early next week. Supposed to pour concrete tomorrow.

IMG

Looks great. May I ask if they used regular mortar between the coping stones or a flexible (epoxy type) grout? I am starting a pool tomorrow and plan to use a very similar coping stone. I am worried about regular mortar cracking over time.

They used regular mortar. I was not aware of an epoxy grout. The grout has been a source of consternation for us. All of the pools we looked at with regular grout had issues after the fact. We were debating between stones and stamped concrete and finally figured we could easily fix the grout later but not cracks in the concrete.

Good luck with your pool!

Since the coping stone sits on the pool and will be disconnected from the decking, cracking should not be an issue. My pool has regular grout and is without one crack (so far) after seven years.

It's all about substrate prep and expansion joints in the right place.

Thanks for the timeline details. We are having a gunite pool installed and have run into a few of those no work days. Pool builder gets frustrated with us calling to ask about it. He says we shouldn't expect them to show up every day. We live in Oklahoma and the rainy days out-number the sunny days this time of year and we feel it is a waste to not get work done on the few sunny days we do have. But we do understand they have to wait for the ground to dry out too after rainey days. We have not had nearly the number of no show issues as you but I can understand the frustration, especially when you take off of work to meet with someone who doesnt show.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.