Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Howdy from Buffalo Gap, TX

1. Back To Top    #1

Howdy from Buffalo Gap, TX

Glad to be registered here finally, been lurking and reading for awhile.

I work on an inground plaster 40 X 80 144,000 gallon main pool with a 3,000gallon wading pool, surrounded by huge oak and pine trees in a west Texas oasis called Buffalo Gap. This pool was built in 1985, *inside* the original 55 x 110, 300,000gal pool which was originally built somewhere around 1925.

The original pool had no filtration / circulation, just a well pump w/ bromine injector that went to the shallow end and an overflow at the deep end. After 60 years of that, the State Health Dep't finally said we had to update, so the current system was built.

The current system consists of 2 pumps (1 old Challenger bronze open-face impeller and 1 newer Challenger II plastic closed impeller) and 2 large Pentair Triton 140 sand filters for the main pool, and one 3/4hp pump and filter on the wading pool. All pumps run pretty much 24/7 during the season. Off season, we shut everything down and pull a gigantic tarp over the pool and put it to bed.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce meself.

James Myers
    In-ground Plaster 40' X 80' 144K gallon pool w/ 2 pumps (old Challenger bronze and newer Challenger II plastic) and 2 large sand filters (Pentair Triton 140's). Built in '85, in bee-yootiful shady Buffalo Gap, West Texas.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Howdy from Buffalo Gap, TX

Welcome

Post up some pictures of that monster
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome. It's always nice to have another Texan.
    Larry in Texas

Above ground 7,700 gallons, 19 inch sand filter ( 2 sq. ft.), Liquidator, and a WaterWay Hi-Flo Pump with an A.O. Smith 1 hp SF 1.0 motor.

4. Back To Top    #4

Buffalo Gap, what a cool name. I bet there is a story there.....
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

Is that the big one by Lake Abilene? Spent a lot of time around Abilene growing up, but never got to go there when I was young or thin enough to be seen in a swimsuit in public!
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the welcomes!

aa62579, You're thinking of the Abilene State Park pool, I'm located in Buffalo Gap, right across from the Town Hall and Fire Department.

And yes, the town is named Buffalo Gap because it's located in the middle of a gap in the line of hills known as the "Callahan Divide", back when Indians roamed free this gap was a natural 'funnel' for migrating buffalo. Lots of old Indian sites and artifacts around here.

Here's a pic from the first year I worked here, 2008.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In-ground Plaster 40' X 80' 144K gallon pool w/ 2 pumps (old Challenger bronze and newer Challenger II plastic) and 2 large sand filters (Pentair Triton 140's). Built in '85, in bee-yootiful shady Buffalo Gap, West Texas.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm trying to imagine a pool as large as the one you describe that was built in 1925!! It was mind boggling enormous and I wonder how they managed the water back then?? Kind of interesting that they built the newer (smaller) yet still enormous pool in the same space. As this appears to be a public pool, will the health department allow you to use BBB methods rather than something commercial?
    Oh yeah-Welcome James
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

Wow, so there are two big pools close to each other? (Since I thought I was told you went down through Buffalo Gap to get to Lake Abilene.)

I'm going to have to google all this.

Edit: Looked them up. Your can't see your pool too well because of all the trees surrounding it, but it looks pretty big. Found the one at lake Abilene - looks close to the same size as yours, but might be smaller. Also one just to the NE of it that looks big, but I can't tell if it is public or private or community, etc.

As an aside, (and certainly not to overshadow your pool) my husband comes from Cisco (down I-20 about an hour), which was once home to what they called the world's largest concrete swimming pool. The measurement I saw from this link was 200 x 800, and 20' deep at one point.

Some photos I found of it:

Lake Cisco Pool 1938 by Roddy R., on Flickr

40' Deep End High Dive

Deep End High Dive by Roddy R., on Flickr

1950s

Lake Cisco Pool (1950's) by Roddy R., on Flickr

LakeCisco pool by Roddy R., on Flickr

THis is the only state I have ever seen it in,.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to TFP!

I own ranch property on CR 104 there in Eastland County. Talk about a small world.

10. Back To Top    #10

I'd heard of the Cisco pool, but never seen it. Have to stop by there sometime and take a look!

Speaking of googling us, last year Google Earth's satellite's took their photo of us during the one afternoon a year we drag out the slip-n-slide, which is a huge vinyl billboard we lay out. It's upside down, but they caught the giant "1-800-4A-LOAN" sign laying out in front of the bath house, LOL!

My pool isn't open to the general public, just groups that rent it out (although anybody can rent it out, makes it a semi-public-pool?). State Health dept doesn't care where I get chemicals as long as the water's clean and tests ok. I'm looking at the BBB method, seems like I've been doing the first two B's already but never messed with Borates (yet).

Several large pools around here - there's our 144K gal one, the State Park's (not sure how big it is but it has a 12' highdive), and the one NE of that is at the Boy Scout Camp Tonkawa (170K gals).

Our original one was built first, then the State Park's was built by the CCC during the Depression (and has some great stonework buildings around it), then the Boy Scout one was built sometime before WW2, if I remember correctly. Ours and the Boy Scout one were both rebuilt/remodeled in the mid-80's, but the State Park one is pretty much as built.

11. Back To Top    #11

Here's the google earth shot I captured;

Can you see the Campers lined up on the sidewalk?

(last summer was insanely dry, but you can sure tell where the septic tank lateral lines are!!!)

12. Back To Top    #12

Borates are completely optional. You are a BBBer if you understand your pools chemistry and only add what the pool needs ... does not matter what chemicals you use.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

This spring we had to cut through the deck then dig back, down, and under the plumbing to repair a cracked skimmer. YUCK!

One pic shows the sidewall of the old original pool along the backside of the hole, the other shows my helper down in the hole (after we got it cleared out)

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Borates are completely optional. You are a BBBer if you understand your pools chemistry and only add what the pool needs ... does not matter what chemicals you use.
    I keep thinking I've figured out this beast's chemistry, but each year seems to bring something new...

Guess I'm a BBBer-in-training!