Help with conflicting information

txgal

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2008
Dallas, TX
I started using the BBB method 1 week ago when I happened upon this website. I was searching for information about high CYA levels because I was getting conflicting information from 2 different pool stores. First, I just want to thank everyone here who puts so much time into helping! I received my TF100 kit on Monday and have tested the water daily. I've been reading the stickies and trying to soak up all of the information. I think I am on the right track for balancing my pool and am getting ready to drain and refill a portion to lower our CYA.

I have had 3 different pool stores/services tell me that I should not be using liquid bleach (basically everyone that I have asked). I have been told that it will add lots of unwanted particles to the water since only a small percentage is chlorine. One person said it is "bad" for your pool and upon further questioning said that it only raises the FC for a short period of time and that it is a different kind of chlorine than the pucks. I've also been told that I should be able control my CYA levels through backwashing.

Based on everything that I've read I feel like I need to trust what I have learned on this site, but I think my husband is questioning my decision. Every pool owner we know who doesn't have a SWG uses trichlor, so it feels like we are going against the grain. So really I just wanted to see if there is a negative impact in using bleach over time and if any of this information I am receiving from the stores/services holds water. Thank you for sticking with me through this long post and again for everything on this website!!

txgal said:
I started using the BBB method 1 week ago when I happened upon this website. I was searching for information about high CYA levels because I was getting conflicting information from 2 different pool stores. First, I just want to thank everyone here who puts so much time into helping! I received my TF100 kit on Monday and have tested the water daily. I've been reading the stickies and trying to soak up all of the information. I think I am on the right track for balancing my pool and am getting ready to drain and refill a portion to lower our CYA.

I have had 3 different pool stores/services tell me that I should not be using liquid bleach (basically everyone that I have asked). I have been told that it will add lots of unwanted particles to the water since only a small percentage is chlorine. One person said it is "bad" for your pool and upon further questioning said that it only raises the FC for a short period of time and that it is a different kind of chlorine than the pucks. I've also been told that I should be able control my CYA levels through backwashing.

Based on everything that I've read I feel like I need to trust what I have learned on this site, but I think my husband is questioning my decision. Every pool owner we know who doesn't have a SWG uses trichlor, so it feels like we are going against the grain. So really I just wanted to see if there is a negative impact in using bleach over time and if any of this information I am receiving from the stores/services holds water. Thank you for sticking with me through this long post and again for everything on this website!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just love to hear this stuff.

1) Chlorine bleach is fine..............the pool stores also sell liquid shock, which is just a higher concentration of bleach. So, they are idiots. It also doesn't have alot of unwanted particles.
2) Chlorine bleach will raise and hold your FC level quite well.....chlorine will bind to the CYA or stabilizer in the pool. The puck just uses both of these ingredients at one time. Now, try putting one puck in the skimmer. Your FC isn't going to say high for long either.
3) Sure, backwashing will control your CYA level.....okay drumroll............ because you are basically draining and filling!!!

I used pucks for one year only (June ->June) and my CYA was +100. I had to keep high chlorine levels in my pool to maintain proper sanitation. I only use puck now for vacations.

Also, my hubby thinks I'm crazy to use bleach, too....he also hates taking the jugs to the recyle center. But, since he doesn't assist in the pool care, he does not get a vote. I don't tell him how to mow the yard, how to rewire the outbuildings, etc. Once he starts to complain, the job is his.

Now, what ARE your numbers??? Nice test kit, eh?

Good luck and welcome!

CaryB

Tx,

That's a pretty common post....where the spouse doesn't read the forum and is skeptical of the advice.

Virtually no amount of cajoling can convince someone of that mindset, They either have to read these thousands of posts and become a believer or they have to see the results.

I will tell you that the chlorine in bleach is absolutely PERFECT for your pool. The opposite of the "advice" from the pool store, it is the purest form of chlorine you can get in your pool and will have the least amount of long-term or short-term side effects. Those other "unwanted particles" are water and a tiny bit of salt. :lol: :lol:

Tri-chlor on the other hand, may be the most insidious form of chlorine. It lulls you to sleep by keeping your water nice as you plop in puck after puck, year after year untill your CYA is thru the roof and your chlorine is no longer particularly effective.

BBB is harder to do than the pucks. It requires you understand what is happening in your pool, testing for it, and what to do about it. Pucks are easy...no thinking involved..... but there's no free lunch.......there's a good chance they'll get you sooner or later.

Stay the course and post some test results when you get a chance. That always opens a dialogue that is usually very informative. Tell your understandably skeptical husband to give us a visit....we don't bite! :lol: :lol:

The pool stores often bad mouth bleach because they aren't making any money off of it. They want you to buy their products.

Bleach adds a little bit of salt to the pool, which isn't a big deal. All of the other options either add something worse, are teribly expensive, or dangerous to handle. The only significant disadvantage to bleach is carrying it home.

Hi txgal and welcome!

You are doing just fine! No worries!

Remember that when your neighbors' pools turn green, and some of them will!

You can just smile and be thankful that you understand the BBB method!

You are not getting pool stored. :wink:

Relax and enjoy your pool. Happy swimming :)

Here's my pool as of a couple weeks ago. I've been using BBB exclusively since June of last year.

Here's what it looked like when DH took the cover off.

DH has no say so in the health and vitality of my pool. All he knows is that it looks good and that's good enough for him.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I do most of the maintaining on the pool right now so ultimately it is my decision. I know that my husband will be supportive no matter what.

I actually felt empowered today when we had a pool repairman at our house and I think I knew more than him about pool chemistry! He was the one telling me that bleach is "bad" for the pool, but I felt like he could never back up his reasoning. Everytime he gave an explanation I had a counter response. I really owe that to you all!!

I'll start a new thread with our results from the TF100 and my current game plan. That way you can tell me if I am on the right track.

By the way...I will definitely become a lifetime supporter of this forum!

I work in a pool store and we RECOMMEND liquid chlorine over other forms to help prevent overstabilization. The ONLY difference between our liquid pool chlorine and bleach is the strength and therefore the amount you need to obtain the same FC level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.