King Technologies Pool Frog

Aug 15, 2012
Hi all,

Just got done building a 12 x 24 semi in-ground pool. (1 foot above ground)

Bought the pool here on long island NY at Brothers 3. They talked me into a Frog system.
They came and hard plumbed everything. All looks great. Got a Hayward EC65 with a superpump. They also gave me (as part of the package) 10 pounds of Power Gran (their brand of granulated chlorine). Was told to add one to two scoops of the granular chlorine into the skimmer daily to keep chlorine levels between .5-1.0 ppm (it's at about 2.0). After doing this for the last two months I have noticed the granuals sit in the bottom of the pump basket for a couple of hours before it disapates. I tried to disolve this stuff.....Yea right. Put one scoop (about an ounce) into a bucket, a day and a half later it still there, not to mention the bucket is now ruined.

Any suggestions would be appreciated....

It's generally a bad idea to add any chemicals through the skimmer. Granular Chlorine should be mixed in a bucket. Grab a 5 gallon bucket and add the granules and mix. Let the granules settle to the bottom and carefully pour the water from the bucket in front of a return. Only tip the bucket enough to pour the liquid out while keeping the undissolved granules in the bucket. Add more water and mix. Repeat the process till all the granules are dissolved.

Although you didn't ask you should take a gander at Pool School. That Frog system could cause problems if it's a system that adds minerals to your water.

yeggim said:
Granular Chlorine should be mixed in a bucket. Grab a 5 gallon bucket and add the granules and mix. Let the granules settle to the bottom and carefully pour the water from the bucket in front of a return. Only tip the bucket enough to pour the liquid out while keeping the undissolved granules in the bucket. Add more water and mix. Repeat the process till all the granules are dissolved.

I have done this literally for a day and a half. How long should this take????? This was only one ounce..... Maybe switch to a powdered chlorine...

hggbrew said:
yeggim said:
Granular Chlorine should be mixed in a bucket. Grab a 5 gallon bucket and add the granules and mix. Let the granules settle to the bottom and carefully pour the water from the bucket in front of a reIturn. Only tip the bucket enough to pour the liquid out while keeping the undissolved granules in the bucket. Add more water and mix. Repeat the process till all the granules are dissolved.

I have done this literally for a day and a half. How long should this take????? This was only one ounce..... Maybe switch to a powdered chlorine...
Like Bama says, you're better off using liquid Chlorine. Anyways, CalHypo is the least soluble of the granular or powder Chlorine family. The CalHypo that I've used took no more than 5 or so minutes to dissolve. It doesn't all dissolve immediately but pouring off whats dissolved, adding more water and remixing about 5 to 10 times eventually does the trick.

Oh yeah, welcome to TFP. :-D Stick around and peruse the site. Whether you're a new or long time pool owner, the information here will save you a lot of headaches and a lot of money.

yeggim said:
adding more water and remixing about 5 to 10 times eventually does the trick

LOL.... I think with the stuff they gave me a zero or two need to be added to those numbers... It takes between two and four hours to disolve in the filter basket, and that is with constant water flow over it.....

Thanks...... been snoopin for a while.

:cheers:

Bama Rambler said:
Actually you'd be much better off switching to liquid chlorine.

What is the ingredients of the granular chlorine? It's most likely Cal-hypo but it could be trichlor or dichlor.

I'll post what kind it is tomorrow...... sitting here at work... :mrgreen:

hggbrew said:
yeggim said:

LOL.... I think with the stuff they gave me a zero or two need to be added to those numbers... It takes between two and four hours to disolve in the filter basket, and that is with constant water flow over it.....

Wow. That's not like any Chlorine that I've ever used. Are you sure it's Chlorine? Sounds sorta like how Stabilizer would react.

yeggim said:
hggbrew said:
yeggim said:

Wow. That's not like any Chlorine that I've ever used. Are you sure it's Chlorine? Sounds sorta like how Stabilizer would react.

It's defidently chlorine......ya get the smell when you open the bucket....It does have some stabilizer in it....maybe that's why it's slow to disolve.......but I mean SLOW :grrrr:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblizzle said:
I am guessing it is trichlor if it has stabilizer in it ... I think the dichlor dissolves faster.

The label says:

Contact Algae Killer and Superchlorinator
100% Soluble <--- this one makes me laugh
UV Stabilized

Active Ingredient:
Trichloro-s-Triazinetrione* - 99%
Other ingredients: 1%
Total: 100%

* Provides 89% available chlorine

most pucks are trichlor and can take days to dissolve. Would think that the granules would be a little faster. The other forms dichlor and cal-hypo are much faster dissolving ... using liquid is still better.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.