conversion problems

frogie

May 9, 2008
Hi Everyone. I have an inground 16x32 pool. It's has 17,500 gallons of water. It's four years old. I had been using Baquacil for three years.

This year I decided to go to chlorine. It took 20 gallons of clorox added all at once, then 10+6 bags of cal hypo. It finally killed all the Baquacil. Now the problem is, my ph is low, the akalinity is kind of high, I have 4.6 and 4.8 combined chlorine levels but I don't register any free chlorine.

My next step was to shock again which I did. It didn't help anything but increase the combined chlorine levels and drop the ph. Then I was told to add 2 lbs of ph, 2 hours later add a bucket of cyanuric acid. Keep the filter going all night then measure the ph. I did, it was low. That night add 4 lbs of cal hypo.

Well I did everything but the shock because it rained like crazy and I figured it would just wipe everything out. My ph is still low and I still do not have any free chlorine registering. I live in PA. We've had a cold May so far. The water temp is around 68 to 70 degrees. I have a de filter. Any suggestions on what to do?

[Edit: jjparrish: To include paragraph breaks]

Hey, frogie,

Welcome to the forum.

There's no question that we can help get your pool straightened out but you'll need to get us some test results so we can tell exactly where you are.

For now, if you'll go to the pool store and get them to test your water for you. Don't buy anything but just come back with the test results and post them up here.

There's lots of folks here who will offer good advice and you'll be able to get almost everything you need at the grocery store instead of spending a fortune.

Long term, if you get your own good test kit, you can keep your pool water sparkling each summer but, with that low pH, I think it's important you get some test results right away so we can help you get the pH up.

Frogie
Welcome to the forum,
I will guarantee you that is you do like Duraleigh says and get a full set of test numbers and post them here, the people on this forum will have your pool perfect in no time.