Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Test Kits In Europe - What I learned so far

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Test Kits In Europe - What I learned so far

NOTE: This thread is a royal mess, unorganized, etc.. I am just dumping everything I learn into here... later I'll make a very nice, easy to read, etc thread and edit this one.

Here is my research, I am still looking for a solution because unlike you guys in the USA here they make it very hard or expensive to test your pool water accurately.

PALINTEST

Palintest - SP 315C - Pooltester Kit for Balanced Water and Chlorine/pH/Cyanuric Acid (200 tests)

$86.55 USD + shipping

Professional Palintest Pooltest 6 photometer full testing kit -

SPS 006D Soft Case - 317.20
    SPH 006D Hard Case - 350.10.

Where to buy:

Tel: +44 (0) 191 491 0808 ext. 208
    Mob: +44 (0) 7508 587 782
    Fax: +44 (0) 191 482 5372
    Email: gary.mccreadie@palintest.com

LOVIBOND
    Does the job (tablet based system, accuracy a big ? mark) Lovibond - 5 in one checker - http://www.lovibondwater.com/product/po ... it-hr.aspx

TAYLOR
    Taylor K-2006 is only available in Spain. -- UPDATE: International distributor is http://hxworldwide.com/ waiting to hear back from them...

TF100

They don't sell TF100 in/to Europe and you cannot get it shipped here as its a repackaged unit and the guy who makes it cannot ship it out of the country - Only way to get it, have a friend buy it in the US and send it to you - OR - use BONGO INTERNATIONAL (forwarding service)

Lamotte
    Lamotte 7002 - FAS-DPD tester

Can buy it from http://www.sword-scientific.com
    Email: sales@sword-scientific.com

Cost is $95 euros + shipping

Pool ID
    http://www.pool-id.com (GERMANY)

*PRICING - tablet based testers made in germany by pool-id*

SVT1100 - 13 euros - CYA tester individual
    SVZ 500 - 11 euros - ALK tester individual
    SVZ 1300 - 11 euros - CH tester individual

PT500 kit (PH/FC/AL) - $5 euros
    PT100 kit (PH/FC/Bromine) - $4 euros

+shipping which is dirt cheap to EU states...

They have an office in the UK so u can buy their stuff there -> Steve Cooper
    Pool-i.d. UK Ltd
    Water-i.d. International
    102 Netherhampton Road
    Salisbury
    SP2 8LZ
    UK

scooper@pool-id.co.uk

Palin
    Lamotte
    Taylor
    Lovibond
    AqvaChek
    POOL ID - http://www.pool-id.com
    ITS - http://www.itseurope.co.uk

**NOTE** There's a forwarding service called Bongo International that can help you get any kit you want but the price of shipping is pretty much more than the product itself when it comes to K2006, TFTestKits, etc.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Test Kits In Europe - What I learned so far

bummer. I thought that link I sent you before shipped the Taylor throughout Europe and not just in Spain. I guess that was a bad assumption or bad info in another thread.

The key is the FAS-DPD test ... So not sure if the tablet test is adequate.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm sharing what I've been finding out while researching last couple of days. Hopefully it will help others in the EU.

PS: What is FAS? This 5 in 1 by lovibond uses DPD...

4. Back To Top    #4

There is no cheap way to get a decent test kit in Europe at current. Palintest as above do supply the FAS-DPD kit in Europe, (it is a British company after all) with the SP300 coming in at 33.40 and the SP400 (Oxystop) coming in at 36.20. Palintest has a minimum order value of 50 and all prices are plus VAT and Postage. I purchased two SP400's which worked out as 72.40 + VAT @ 20% 14.48 + postage which made a grand total of 95 or so in July 2012.

I also have a Lovibond Comparator which uses tablet re-agents for pH and FC/TC which is used during normal residual levels (1-5 ppm Chlorine), a pH/Temp pen for quicker testing of those parameters, two 100ml Lovibond shaker bottles for TA and CH tablet count test, TDS meter, CYA turbidity test and finally a phosphate test kit, all of which are seperate items.

The short and fast answer is there is no cheap way in Europe to get accurate testing equipment, I think my test equipment would of overall costed at around 400!!

Think I need to open TFTestKitsEurope!!
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

5. Back To Top    #5

Been using the Palin Pooltest 9 for a couple years and it's outstanding; spot on. No guesswork as to what shade of color a test is and no dealing with the black dot/no black dot for CYA testing; all digital testing: FC, pH, CYA, TA, takes about 10 minutes.
    SW FL, 19K IG with spillover & cage, Goldline Pro-Logic PS-8, Hayward Sense & Dispense, Hayward Swim Clear 4025, Hayward Ecostar VS pump, Stenner MA pump, Aquabot, Hayward Aquarite SWG, Palin Pooltest 9, Helicol Solar.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thread updated with some new info I learned today, the search is still on.

7. Back To Top    #7

My experience of Water Testing in the UK;

PHOTOMETERS
    Palintest photometers are probably the best in the market, but refilling your re-agent tablets is extremely expensive. Pooltest 9 Premier has a XT DPD Range test which measures 0-10ppm FC/CC, most other Palintest photometers have a Chlorine HR Test ability which measures FC upto 250ppm. I myself now have the Palintest 7100 Photometer which is great apart from the re-agent prices - wish I had a Lovibond MD200 6in1. 250 Palintest alkaphot tablets for example will set you back 44.55 + VAT and Shipping.

Lovibond - Similar prices to Palintest for Photometers but one crucial difference - the cost of re-agents is massively lower, making it the favorite Photometer in the UK amongst Pool Professionals, good availability of re-agents also. MD200 Range has both 0.01-6ppm FC and 0.1-10ppm FC test, big drawback is no ability for testing FC above 6 or 10ppm in most pool photometers.

FAS-DPD DROP KITS
    Palintest sells the FAS-DPD drop test kit SP300(33.40) or SP400(36.20)(With Oxystop) direct minimum order value with palintest is 50net (VAT & Postage to add)

COMPARATORS
    Lovibond is the market leader with the Lovibond 2000 and Checkit Comparators, both only test chlorine in the 1-5 and 1-4ppm range respectively.

Best place I can find to buy any Lovibond products in the UK is Leisureteq.co.uk a commercial supplier. I cannot find any decent suppliers for Palintest products cept direct supply from them.
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Stuamurr
    My experience of Water Testing in the UK;

PHOTOMETERS
    Palintest photometers are probably the best in the market, but refilling your re-agent tablets is extremely expensive. Pooltest 9 Premier has a XT DPD Range test which measures 0-10ppm FC/CC, most other Palintest photometers have a Chlorine HR Test ability which measures FC upto 250ppm. I myself now have the Palintest 7100 Photometer which is great apart from the re-agent prices - wish I had a Lovibond MD200 6in1. 250 Palintest alkaphot tablets for example will set you back 44.55 + VAT and Shipping.

Lovibond - Similar prices to Palintest for Photometers but one crucial difference - the cost of re-agents is massively lower, making it the favorite Photometer in the UK amongst Pool Professionals, good availability of re-agents also. MD200 Range has both 0.01-6ppm FC and 0.1-10ppm FC test, big drawback is no ability for testing FC above 6 or 10ppm in most pool photometers.

FAS-DPD DROP KITS
    Palintest sells the FAS-DPD drop test kit SP300(33.40) or SP400(36.20)(With Oxystop) direct minimum order value with palintest is 50net (VAT & Postage to add)

COMPARATORS
    Lovibond is the market leader with the Lovibond 2000 and Checkit Comparators, both only test chlorine in the 1-5 and 1-4ppm range respectively.

Best place I can find to buy any Lovibond products in the UK is Leisureteq.co.uk a commercial supplier. I cannot find any decent suppliers for Palintest products cept direct supply from them.
    I can list some suppliers that I have experienced for chemicals and testing equipment.

http://www.swimmingpoolchemicals.co.uk/index.php
    Supplies chemicals with next day delivery, in my experience their prices are very good and delivery costs and expidited time is low
    They also stock certain photometer and comparator re-agents which claim to be compatible with other manufacturers devices, although up until now I have yet to buy any and try.

http://www.leisureteq.co.uk/
    Good for Lovibond testing equipment & re-agents (UK Preferred devices) and for chemicals, but delivery cept for small items is 15, they have a comprehensive range of equipment, spares and supply many local authorities in the UK.

http://www.camlabworld.com/palintest-re ... c3637.aspx
    Camlab is a good supplier of Palintest Re-agents, which are normally not available anywhere else (Chlorine HR/XT Re-agents etc)
    I have used them for HR tablets.

http://www.pool-chem.co.uk/catalogsearc ... =palintest
    Another supplier of palintest re-agents, which prices seem reasonable.
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

9. Back To Top    #9

The question of what the FAS in the FAS-DPD test was never answered. I don't know the technical answer, but the difference between it and standard DPD tests is that it is a very accurate titration test with an upper range of around 50ppm.

Edit: I found this post which explains it;
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/archive/in ... -3870.html

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm based in Italy and ended up using a LaMotte colorQ7 photometer, essentially because i couldn't find any alternative. It's been very good for my purposes and allowed me to get my pool under control. When trying to get more test tabs the original Italian supplier was completely useless so I ended up ordering from Sword Scientific in the U.K. Excellent, professional and speedy service, one email, a bank transfer and the stuff was with me the next day! I havn't tried to compare prices but they get my vote for a reliable supplier.
    160,000 litres (42,000 U.S. galls) 15 x 7 metres (53 x 23 feet) hybrid. Concrete floor, glass fibre walls. 1.5 HP Tifon pump, 150 kg (330lb) sand filter. Free form shape (not a straight edge in sight) 30 years old.