Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Infestation of Bugs !!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Infestation of Bugs !!!!

So I live in Northwest IN and we have had a spell of cooler weather and lots of rain. TOday we got some warm weather back and all seemed fine. Me and the hubby went for a walk in the later afternoon, and afterwards sat down before dinner to rest. Got up to get dinner around 5:45 and happened to look out my back window to see the top of my pool covered in bugs. Me and the hubby walked outside to see what was up and these flying little bugs were everywhere.........All over the yard, and the neighbor had them also. Almost like they came out after the sun was down......they were all over my car in the driveway..........only plus out of the evening is it started to rain again.........my pool has thousands of bugs ............ewwwww, and I have never seen anything like this....is was almost like a plague. Don't know where these bugs came from, how long they are going to be around, but they sure have given me the heebie jeebies.
    16 x 34 inground vinyl pool
    Hayward 1 hp super pump
    200s Hayward Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Infestation of Bugs !!!!

Ewww... don't send them south... I don't want them Hope they move away soon for you!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Can we see a pic?

Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I spent the day going over and over my pool, cleaning out bugs........seemed I would go around the pool and look back, and there were tons more. Had to hose down all the walls because there were tons of them stuck to the walls above the water line. A pic of the whole pool did not come out but I did get a close up of a cluster of the bugs in the pool, the skimmer, and how many I have taken out so far.......Positive note, the plague of bugs did not come back tonight..........hahahahah........I sure hope that never happens again.[attachment=2:1vydmr7q]IMG_20120815_083512-1-2-1.jpg[/attachment:1vydmr7q][attachment=1:1vydmr7q]IMG_20120815_124819 (800x600).jpg[/attachment:1vydmr7q][attachment=0:1vydmr7q]IMG_20120815_124155 (800x600).jpg[/attachment:1vydmr7q]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hayward 1 hp super pump
    200s Hayward Sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Hard to tell but they look flying ants. Had the same thing happen here last Saturday. Swarms of them lifted into the air together when the sun dipped below the trees. Luckily a minimal amount decided to go swimming.
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

From what I have read...they are flying ants...I guess they have "flying ant day" where all the flying ants come out of the ground and swarm to mate with the queens....the male die after mating ....the queens fall to the ground and go back to hives....typically happens after a few days of rain and when you get cooler weather....
    Hayward 1 hp super pump
    200s Hayward Sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Fascinating! Thanks for the pics. We have seen a couple hundred at a time, and I thought that was bad!
    28,500K, 520sqft cartridge filter, prism quartz pebble antigua, Pentair Intelliflo SWG, Pentair Legend Platinum robot, date TBD