12.5% bleach causing dry skin

May 22, 2012
Harrah Oklahoma
Firstly,

I have been using Clorox or off brand since switching to BBB this spring. However I got a couple of gallons of SO WHITE brand "Swim KLEEN" 12.5% at the local pool supply. But when I started using it we noticed it started making our skin really dry and my rock solid CH went up from 125 to 150 with only a gallon use. Checked it twice to make sure.

Has anybody noticed this with other 12.5% over the 6% Clorox? What would cause the rise in CH. Luckily I only bought two gallons. Gonna put the other one aside to use when we close the pool.

Secondly,

I'm a lurker but I LOVE LOVE LOVE this site. Moved into our new house a year ago, so I am a total pool noob. Like many sheople went to the pool store to see what I needed to open the pool this spring. Too much money a few weeks later still had a cloudy pool. Then I stumbled on yawls site. Reading then re-reading pool school and these forums and getting the proper testing kit I have had sparkly clear water all summer with little effort. THANK YOU ALL

I test my water everyday with a K2006. I keep the FC between 4-8 per poolcalc. Pool is in 3/4 sun.

When I switched to the 12.5% I changed it in the poolcalc too. I did notice I didn't get the proper rise in FC so I adjusted the poolcalc to 10% that seemed to be closer to the proper FC rise. I figured it might have sat in the back the warehouse a few months and got hot and lost some of the potency. The exp date wasn't until 2013 though.

Tested tonight and added 39 OZ of good ole Clorox to bring me up to 8 FC.

FC 5
CC stays at 0
Ph 7.4
TA 100
CH 150
CYA 50

At the beginning of the year my CYA was well over 100 and my TA was in the 200's "The prior owners' were puckers". Slowly over the summer I have brought those levels down. I shouldn't have messed with perfection but I figured smaller bottles to tote around and it was on sale so what the heck. :hammer:

Welcome to tfp, coveyjt :wave:

Nothing in you test results suggest that your water should be causing your skin issues.

The 12.5% liquid chlorine should not have changed your CH. The CH test can be kind of tricky...it helps to use a speedstir (magnetic stirrer) to get consistent measurements.

coveyjt said:
Slowly over the summer I have brought those levels down.
How did you bring your cya down?

linen said:
Welcome to tfp, coveyjt :wave:

Thanks

linen said:
Nothing in you test results suggest that your water should be causing your skin issues.

The 12.5% liquid chlorine should not have changed your CH. The CH test can be kind of tricky...it helps to use a speedstir (magnetic stirrer) to get consistent measurements.

I have tested it maybe 4 times before with the same result. I don't have a speedstir but I am a swirling fool.

coveyjt said:
Slowly over the summer I have brought those levels down.
linen said:
How did you bring your cya down?

Water replacement. Is there any other way?

linen said:
coveyjt said:
Water replacement. Is there any other way?
No that is the best way, but you made it sound like you did it overtime and dropping as much as you have suggests that it would have taken a large drain/refill.

About 75% of the water. Not at once took about 4-5 times, plus the back washing. The trees around the pool look good. The others on the other hand don't. Having a bad drought this year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.