Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 12.5% bleach causing dry skin

1. Back To Top    #1

12.5% bleach causing dry skin

Firstly,

I have been using Clorox or off brand since switching to BBB this spring. However I got a couple of gallons of SO WHITE brand "Swim KLEEN" 12.5% at the local pool supply. But when I started using it we noticed it started making our skin really dry and my rock solid CH went up from 125 to 150 with only a gallon use. Checked it twice to make sure.

Has anybody noticed this with other 12.5% over the 6% Clorox? What would cause the rise in CH. Luckily I only bought two gallons. Gonna put the other one aside to use when we close the pool.

Secondly,

I'm a lurker but I LOVE LOVE LOVE this site. Moved into our new house a year ago, so I am a total pool noob. Like many sheople went to the pool store to see what I needed to open the pool this spring. Too much money a few weeks later still had a cloudy pool. Then I stumbled on yawls site. Reading then re-reading pool school and these forums and getting the proper testing kit I have had sparkly clear water all summer with little effort. THANK YOU ALL
    12'X20'X48" AGP
    6300 gallons (according to poolcalc)
    Hayward 180T sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 12.5% bleach causing dry skin

What is your FC level? Could be high levels of chlorine. How much did you add?

3. Back To Top    #3

what about CYA and pH? Post up all the levels.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I test my water everyday with a K2006. I keep the FC between 4-8 per poolcalc. Pool is in 3/4 sun.

When I switched to the 12.5% I changed it in the poolcalc too. I did notice I didn't get the proper rise in FC so I adjusted the poolcalc to 10% that seemed to be closer to the proper FC rise. I figured it might have sat in the back the warehouse a few months and got hot and lost some of the potency. The exp date wasn't until 2013 though.

Tested tonight and added 39 OZ of good ole Clorox to bring me up to 8 FC.

FC 5
    CC stays at 0
    Ph 7.4
    TA 100
    CH 150
    CYA 50

At the beginning of the year my CYA was well over 100 and my TA was in the 200's "The prior owners' were puckers". Slowly over the summer I have brought those levels down. I shouldn't have messed with perfection but I figured smaller bottles to tote around and it was on sale so what the heck.
    12'X20'X48" AGP
    Hayward 180T sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to tfp, coveyjt

Nothing in you test results suggest that your water should be causing your skin issues.

The 12.5% liquid chlorine should not have changed your CH. The CH test can be kind of tricky...it helps to use a speedstir (magnetic stirrer) to get consistent measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by coveyjt
    Slowly over the summer I have brought those levels down.
    How did you bring your cya down?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Welcome to tfp, coveyjt
    Thanks

Nothing in you test results suggest that your water should be causing your skin issues.

The 12.5% liquid chlorine should not have changed your CH. The CH test can be kind of tricky...it helps to use a speedstir (magnetic stirrer) to get consistent measurements.
    I have tested it maybe 4 times before with the same result. I don't have a speedstir but I am a swirling fool.

Slowly over the summer I have brought those levels down.
    How did you bring your cya down?
    Water replacement. Is there any other way?
    12'X20'X48" AGP
    Hayward 180T sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

No that is the best way, but you made it sound like you did it overtime and dropping as much as you have suggests that it would have taken a large drain/refill.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

No that is the best way, but you made it sound like you did it overtime and dropping as much as you have suggests that it would have taken a large drain/refill.

About 75% of the water. Not at once took about 4-5 times, plus the back washing. The trees around the pool look good. The others on the other hand don't. Having a bad drought this year.
    12'X20'X48" AGP
    Hayward 180T sand filter