gtty

Aug 11, 2012
Houston, Tx. (West Houston)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi. my wife bought an 18ft round above ground pool that I didn't want when I went to work offshore. Now it has become my job to keep it clear and blue :(

So, as she went on a trip with her friend I am now trying to make it clear and blue (from soupy green). This website has been great. We only have a small test kit, but I will be buying one of the recommended kits ASAP.

I have the water mostly blue, but cloudy and the brown "Dust" showed up again this morning. I know I'll get this figured out once the test kit arrives.

Thanks for all of the great info here!! :p

Welcome to TFP! You can add the details about your pool into your signature. Go to the User Control Panel tab (top left) then Profile, then Signature. All that info will help. Details about the filter, for example, may suggest that an upgrade or longer filter run time may be needed. Sometimes just vacuuming or having the kids step into a small foot bath before they return to the pool can help lessen the debris in the pool.

Thanks y'all! I let the pump run 24/7 and have been cleaning the filter twice daily. I think this Brown dust is remnants of Algae. I have started discharging the vaccuum in the yard as the cartridge doesn't filter it very well. It has been getting better, but is still cloudy somewhat this morning.

anonapersona, I'm just south of you in Cypress. :)

Be aware that refilling the pool after discharging into the yard could increase your TA levels if tap water TA is high. This by itself is not important but it will affect how fast pH rises as pH rises faster with higher TA levels. My tap water has TA of 340 last I checked so refills do matter to me, even with my large pool volume. So do test TA from time to time, like weekly, and pH really often, like daily.

You can set the kids in the pool and have them march around in a circle to create a whilrpool, get them out and wait for the dust to settle in the center, then vac it out. Saves water.