why does ph go back up?

So the pH rise is likely due to your high TA. Follow the Lowering Total Alkalinity article in Pool School.

However, you should only start doing that when all other parameters are in range and your pool is clear (I can not remember the goings on in your other threads ... another reason to keep them together).

Your CYA seems too low (not sure how you measured below 20ppm) and your FC is certainly too low. What does your water look like?

Your FC is dropping in the day time because your CYA is too low ... the dichlor is adding the CYA, so make sure you do not end up using too much and raising the CYA too high.

You need to keep adding chlorine (whether you use dichlor or preferably liquid ... the dichlor is helping the CYA situation , but not a long term solution).

You are correct that you need to adjust the pH first ... clearly 2 L was not nearly enough to get you in the low 7s. Keep adding acid and testing after an hour or so until it stays in the low 7s. Doing this is going to automatically lower the TA some.

It takes no more than an hour for most chemicals to mix through the water with the pump on.

That acid is pretty weak. According to poolcalculator, to drop from 8.7 to 7.2 would require almost 7L (of course adding that much at once is not a good idea). I would guess you will need at least another 3L if you test again after an hour.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you testing pH while FC is above 10? pH test is not reliable at FC above 10.

Also, if you use dichlor to shock you are increasing the CYA and must calculate the new CYA after that addition to determine the new shock level for the new CYA level. It is easier to use a chlorine source that does not include CYA if you can find it.

anonapersona said:
Are you testing pH while FC is above 10? pH test is not reliable at FC above 10.

Also, if you use dichlor to shock you are increasing the CYA and must calculate the new CYA after that addition to determine the new shock level for the new CYA level. It is easier to use a chlorine source that does not include CYA if you can find it.
You must not be paying attention to his other threads. Plain CYA is apparently unknown in Serbia. Dichlor is the best choice for him.

most of tests here max out around 8.2 or so. And the test shows that even if it is higher, so likely your pH is just very high and the high TA makes changing it difficult.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

SerbianPoolGuy said:
Ph at 7.4!!! Took twice the dosage of acid leading me to believe the acid is weaker than stated as vanya suspected...

Also picked up a dtd tablet tester and its more accurate than aqvacheck.. btw aqvacheck digital sucks it always shpws different values

All the digital color matching methods seem to have problems with repeatability. I'd rather have a test that gives the same result over and over when done in the same way than one that doesn't any day! LOL

Your pool is fantastic and I'm crossing my fingers that you have a trouble free pool.

how new is the tile?

The solution is just to keep adding acid to lower the pH to start in range which will also lower the TA. See the article in Pool School about lowering TA.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.