Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Removing Pool Ladders

1. Back To Top    #1

Removing Pool Ladders

I'm curious as to know if the in-ground pool ladders are removeable for the winter. They appear to be, but I do not want to pull/force them out and not be able to get them back in next summer. There's no telling if they've ever been taken out since they were installed ~30 years ago. If they are able to be removed for winter, are there any tips/tricks to getting them out without damage?
    25,000 gal Plaster; Hayward 1 hp Super II; Hayward Vari-Flo XL Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Removing Pool Ladders

I think most ladders should come off for the winter, most are in place with two anchors. Just hold firmly and pull up with some shaking should come loose
    30,000 gallon pebble tech in-ground pool
    Hayward S244T sand filter, 250 lbs of sand - 1 yr old
    Purex WhisperFlo WF-3, 4500 gph
    Not sure of build date, been living here 5 years

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Removing Pool Ladders

Assuming there are trim rings on the ladder where it meets the deck, slide them up and that should expose a 1/2" bolt. The bolt is attached to a wedge that holds the ladder or rail in place. Loosen the bolt and the ladder or rail should come out. They can, sometimes, be difficult.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!