WalMart 6% stronger then HTH 10% ???

texasdad

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2011
DFW Metro
Memorial Day weekend Ace hardware had HTH 10% liquid chlorie on sale. Based on my guess of usage I bought enough to last through September and have stored it in the house.

My Stenner pump is set and my chlorine level as been very consistent between 4.5 and 5.5 all summer. The Stenner runs several times during the day to keep the level consistent as opposed to letting it drop and hen adding a bunch to bring it up.

I ran out of the HTH chlorine last week. I bought 6% bleach from Walmart and a put it in the tank. The last few days my chlorine has been 7.0 to 7.5........ It should be lower, not higher?

Based on running out now instead of my estimated late september and the jump with the Walmart bleach I'm guessing the HTH from Ace was not really 10%; but it is possible that the Walmart stuff is strong instead. What do you think?

PS: the HTH had a current date code on it, was not left over from last year.

My guess is that the HTH 10% degraded. The higher the %, the faster the rate of loss.

Also, sometime during its lifetime, it might have been stored in conditions that were not near as good as inside WallyWorld in the AC :)

My guess is a little of both. The 10% may have dropped depending on how and how long it was at Ace. The Walmart gets turned over pretty quickly so it may have a higher strength (I think 6% is meant to be the minimum).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.