Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Model type for energy efficient pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Model type for energy efficient pump

I'm looking at getting a 1 HP, 2-speed Pentair SuperFlo. Is there an "energy efficient" model and a regular model? If so, could someone just tell me the model number (or some other way to identify it in a google search) of the energy efficient model?

Thanks!
    Sara
    17,000 gal, Posi-Flo Sta-Rite cartridge filter, IG, pebble, Water Ace (GE) 1 HP/1.25 SF 115/230V, 100 GPM (Resid.)/37.5 GPM (public pool), 102 SQ FT filter. Future upgrade: 250 SqFt filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Model type for energy efficient pump

No just one model. SF-N2-1A or sometimes labeled as 346242.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! All the numbers start to get jumbled together.

I'm willing to spend a little more money up front to hopefully save money in the future, would it be wise to revise my search and look for an "energy efficient" model of some other type of 2 speed?
    17,000 gal, Posi-Flo Sta-Rite cartridge filter, IG, pebble, Water Ace (GE) 1 HP/1.25 SF 115/230V, 100 GPM (Resid.)/37.5 GPM (public pool), 102 SQ FT filter. Future upgrade: 250 SqFt filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Probably not. The efficiency of a pump has more to do with its size rather than make or model. The 1 HP SuperFlo is a fairly small pump so that alone is what makes it more efficient than many other two speed pumps.

But I just noticed in your signature that you have a 100 sqft cartridge filter. The maximum flow rate you want to put through that filter is 38 GPM not 100 GPM. Where did the 100 GPM come from?

Also, how did you come to the conclusion of wanting a 1 HP Superflo?

That may be too powerful for your current filter.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks like Mark and I may have lead to the Superflo based on this post:
    post425933.html#p425933

We both overlooked the filter size and went with the fact that you currently have a 1HP pump.

Given your pool size, you should be in the 250+ sqft range for a cartridge filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I believe on the Clear & Clean 100 it states for residential flow is 100gpm and commercial is 38gpm.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, so maybe I did some guessing on some of the numbers in my signature...?

You guys did steer me towards the SuperFlo in another post, but I also saw that name pop up on several other threads and it ranked pretty well on some of those "most efficient 2 speed pumps" posts. I was also thinking about the Hayward Super Pump 2 Speed, 1 HP for the same reasons. I really have no idea what I'm looking for in a pump. I tried calling around to some local pool stores, but they will only talk to you if you want to buy what they happen to have in stock, not what's best for your situation.

I don't even know how I find out what my gpm and sqft of the cartridge is... Is it likely to be printed somewhere on the metal tube that the cartridge goes in or is it related to the actual cartridge part?

Can you tell me what I need to know about my filter system BEFORE I decide on a pump?

I appreciate all your help with this!

8. Back To Top    #8

Tell us what the filter model is (should be a sticker or something on the outside). If nothing can be found, post up some pictures and we might be able to figure it out.

I agree, it would be good to figure out the filter situation before changing the pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, it's a Sta Rite PosiFlo. It says filter area 102 sq ft, resid. flow rate 100 GPM, public pool flow rate 37.5 GPM

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, as I mentioned earlier, we would recommend something in the 250sqft range for your size pool ... reduces head loss as well as requires cleaning less often.

Given that is says good up to 100 GPM and that there is little likelihood of a 1HP actually achieving that, you should be OK. Although I think you may be happier in the future with a larger filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

As jbliz indicated above, that filter is quite undersized for your pool. I don't entirely understand the manufacturers reasoning on the different flow rates, but I would go with the public one...lower flow rate through the cartridge is always a good idea.

You might want to consider a new filter first, before the pump.

Why do you want a new pump?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

12. Back To Top    #12

I need a new pump because a clamp on the pump broke and it would cost $60 to replace (plus shipping). I would prefer to invest the money in a more efficent pump than fix this one. If you want a good chuckle, check out our redneck repair to keep the water circulating:
    http://thereifixedit.failblog.org/2012/ ... or-chumps/

And before you ask, we already owned 2 vice grips, the other 3 were really cheap.

I'll dig through the threads and see what I can find out about filters. What does this mean: "reduces head loss" ?

Thanks again!

13. Back To Top    #13

basically head loss is the resistance to the water flow ... results in the higher filter pressure. Lower resistance and head loss = higher flow rates and lower pressure.

If you get the 2-speed, running on low through the filter you currently have will work fine. The concern is on high speed if the flow would be high enough to actually force some of the smaller dirt through the cartridge, making it not filter as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm definitely not going to be able to afford a new filter and a new pump. I don't mind cleaning the filter a little more often, but I will look into replacing next year maybe.

So, if I keep the same filter system, what do I need to look for in a pump? Can I still go with the 1HP 2-speed? Will that still work if I want to upgrade to a bigger filter next year?

15. Back To Top    #15

You have a 1HP now right? Seems to be working ok for you.

I am not sure how much more powerful the Superflo is (if at all) {Mark could answer that} I do not see why it would not be fine, especially on low speed most of the time anyway.

If you later upgrade to a larger filter, the Superflo would still work fine ... likely better since the flow through the cartridge would be slower.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

The other thing you might consider is just running you current pump for less time, to save money (which seems to be important?). You really haven't answered why you want a new pump.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

17. Back To Top    #17

I need a new pump because the current one broke (see above). I tried cutting down on my run time at 30 min increments and have gotten it as low as it will go without compromising clean water. I live in hot Florida sun and have no kind of pool cover or screen and lots of trees in my my yard and my neighbor's yard, mostly constantly-losing-their-needles evergreens.

Thanks!
    ~Sara

18. Back To Top    #18

The Superflo comes in a 3/4 HP 2 speed as well (SF-N2-3/4A). This might be a little better suited for your filter but it runs off of 115v vs 230v. BTW, I am not sure you answered this or not but what is the voltage of your current pump? Something to consider if it is difficult to change the pump voltage.
    Mark

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by HeritageCove
    I need a new pump because the current one broke (see above).
    I guess I don't understand buying a new $500 pump (if 2-speed) and not a 60 dollar part. Just realized that you will need to run the 2-speed pump twice as long to get the same turnover...but that will only take 1/2 the power, so you do benefit...though I doubt you pay back the net $440 of the new pump.

Do you know what your electrical rates are?

How long do you run right now?