Intex KC Sand Filter 14"

Aug 7, 2012
NY
Hi everybody! You guys do a wonderful service in this site.
I would like to ask you some questions. My pool specs is on my signature. (Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter pump 14" SF15110).

Q1: The pressure gauge on my sand filter goes to yellow when running the filter and drops to green when I turn it off. It used to be on the line between the green and the yellow. Is that normal?
Q2: The reason I said the color is bcause I cannot read the real numbers because of condensation on the pressure gauge. Is that normal?
Q3: When should I backwash? What is the reason for it?
Q4: What is a pressure numbers that I should expect? Does it depend on the pump or there is a standard?
Q5: Do I need to install a rose/clamped on the Drain outlet only when backwashing? Does it have to be covered for filtering? I saw some videos and it seems that you have to remove the hose and cover.

Thanks for your help.
Marcelo

Welcome to tfp, marolir :wave:
marolir said:
Q1: The pressure gauge on my sand filter goes to yellow when running the filter and drops to green when I turn it off. It used to be on the line between the green and the yellow. Is that normal?
Your gauge is likely going bad. I would replace it with one that has bi gpressure numbers on it. Get one that goes from 0 to 30 psi.

marolir said:
Q3: When should I backwash? What is the reason for it?
When your pressure goes up 25% from the "clean" pressure. Backwashing removes the debris that the filter has caught. Eventually, if you do not backwash your flow rate will diminish.

marolir said:
Q4: What is a pressure numbers that I should expect? Does it depend on the pump or there is a standard?
Depends entirely on your setup...but 8-12 psi clean is not uncommon (I think it is a bit lower than that on the intex).

marolir said:
Q5: Do I need to install a rose/clamped on the Drain outlet only when backwashing? Does it have to be covered for filtering? I saw some videos and it seems that you have to remove the hose and cover.
You can leave the hose on or take it off...doesn't matter. It does not have to be covered when filtering.

Hi Linen, thank you for your help.
The gauge is the original that come with the pump from Intex, I am going to call and ask for a replacement.
Today I installed the SWG. Now, I have the filter and the SWG on my backyard. Should these be protected from the rain,etc...? Or, just leave next to the pool with no protection?

marolir said:
The gauge is the original that come with the pump from Intex, I am going to call and ask for a replacement.
If they won't replace it, just get a cheapo from a home center/hardware store.

marolir said:
Today I installed the SWG. Now, I have the filter and the SWG on my backyard. Should these be protected from the rain,etc...?
Doesn't have to be, they are designed to handle the elements.

you may notice a oily coating on top of the water from the sunscreen and as long as your pool is properly balanced it should be taken care of and the sand filter will catch it you might need to leave the pump run a couple extra hours, atleast that is my experience.....Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.