Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Return jets question.

1. Back To Top    #1

Return jets question.

I currently have 3/4 inch jet returns. Could i replace them with 1" jet returns?

what determines what size jet return openings you should have?

current pool filter pressure is 22-24psi.
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Return jets question.

How many returns in the pool?

What size is the plumbing?

What size is the pump and filter?

How far is the equipment from the pool?

22 to 24 PSI is normally considered on the high side if that is with a clean filter.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

2 returns to the pool.
    Jet 1, 35 feet away
    jet 2, 55 feet away

plumbing size 1.5 inches

1.5hp pump 350lb sand filter

filter/pump 25 feet from pool
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I would, in fact, recommend going to 1" jets. That pressure is really a bit higher than it needs to be.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

5. Back To Top    #5

With the pressure that high, I would check the pressure gauge. I would have expected about 18 PSI when clean with your set up and a good gauge. Going to 1" eyes is also a good idea.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

Just unscrewed both return jets so fully open, and pressure only dropped 1psi,

gonna buy a better pressure gauge and see if there is a difference

7. Back To Top    #7

the skimmer is probably about 70 feet away. and the 2 suction drains in the bottom of the pool i'm guessing is 25 feet and 80 feet.

If i put the valve to pull water from all 3 the pressure stays the same within 1psi

btw the water is crystal clear. am curious why the high pressure, i do have great water pressure on the returns

8. Back To Top    #8

When i put the pump on recirculate i get 18psi

So is a 4-6 psi increase about right for sand filter?

Is 18psi on recirculate kinda high?

9. Back To Top    #9

It all depends on your particular setup but 18 psi is kinda high for a clean sand filter.

What brand and model is your filter? If it's a Pentair, does it have the ClearPro technology?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

What is your pump model?

Do the three suction lines run all the way from the pool to the equipment pad?

Also, what is the history of this pool? How long have you know the pressure to be this high?

It is possible that the normal pressure is this high but I can't tell without some of these other details.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Pool is 4 years old, was maybe 2 psi lower at the beginning.

sta-rite phk2ra6f=103l 1.5hp

sta rite cristal-flo2 sand filter. 350lbs 75gpm

all 3 suctions lines run from the pool to the filter. 1 skimmer, and 2 mains on each side at bottom

12. Back To Top    #12

With that setup, 19-20 PSI might be considered normal. 22 PSI is a little high but that could be due to something in the filter. Have you tried a long backwash?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater