Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: For sale: $30 solar heating panels

1. Back To Top    #1

For sale: $30 solar heating panels

Do you think $30 for a solar heating panel is a deal?

Somebody on Craigslist is selling 6 of them for $30 apiece.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/grd/3152395508.html

No, it's not my ad. I just saw it while browsing for pumps and sand filters, and thought "wow, what a deal!"
    No more Intex EasySet AGP. Hot tub soon.
    "Prejudices are what fools use for reason." - Voltaire

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: For sale: $30 solar heating panels

what size are they? Come with all required hardware? Controller?

Likely a good deal if even just the panels.

I paid $50 for each 4x12.5 panel I got on craigslist.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The ad didn't say, and it's hard to tell from the photos.

Here's the email address, if anyone wants to contact the seller: mfpxw-3152395508@sale.craigslist.org

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd say it's a great deal.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks like a great deal, assuming they are leak free.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Solar heaters in San Antonia, Texas. That just doesn't seem right. Here in MN, I get the want for more heat.
    blondemarcello
    18x33 16,700 gallon AG
    Sand, TFP Test, Gas heater
    Minnesota

7. Back To Top    #7

I hear you! Because of the cold weather the last few days...I am struggling (even with my solar) to hold 80.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Linen,

Hang in there. I've had my cover off for the last week because of algea - 70-76 degrees is not my idea of warm. But yesterday I took the plunge and it wasn't too bad - not bathwater temp the way I like it, but with the sun shining on me, it wasn't too bad. Looking forward to the next couple of 80+ days.
    blondemarcello
    18x33 16,700 gallon AG
    Sand, TFP Test, Gas heater
    Minnesota

9. Back To Top    #9

I could see using solar panels to heat your home's hot water here in this area.

But my pool is already too warm (was 98 this afternoon); there's no way I'm going to try to heat it up more.

10. Back To Top    #10

Those same solar panels can be pretty effective cooling down a pool if run at night (most likely much more effective than using a radiator ).

11. Back To Top    #11

Linen: True, but that's not exactly a "redneck engineering" solution, so there's no fun in it.

After last night, I'll probably be buying a new pool anyway, so there goes the solar panel money.

The top ring on my Intex Easy Set leaked down last night, causing all my water to run out, and my pump to run dry for a couple of hours. I reinflated it and poured soapy water all over it, but there are no bubbles anywhere. Oh well, I'm off to research it, I'm sure there's a thread somewhere.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke
    Linen: True, but that's not exactly a "redneck engineering" solution, so there's no fun in it.
    Good point

That stinks about your pool Must be a leak there somewhere. When you find it you can use a vinyl repair kit to patch.