recomend me a solar heater that won't break the bank

gayler

Apr 4, 2009
Lakin Ks
Hi all! I've had the best pool season ever, thanks to all the info I've learned here. I have an Intex 16' x 48" with SWG. I've seen some pool heaters for around 239.00 That are 2ftx 20ft panels. Do they rely work and are they worth it? Can you recommend me one to buy? Thanks!

They can really help heat up a pool. I have 6X2'X20' panels and combined with a solar cover can raise my temp by 10 degrees over a couple of days. If you don't have a solar cover/blanket, start with that and put it on at night.

Yes, they really work, but you should be able to aim for a bit more square footage at that price. A quick google shows that the 4' by 20' Fafco Solar Bears seem to be going for about $269 right now on eBay or $235 on Amazon.

It is all about sqft of heating area so don't necessarily believe their claim that only 1 panel is needed. 1 panel will "heat" a 100,000 gallon pool also ... just not enough for you to notice, but it is "heating" it.

I also find that link bizarre as it does not even list the width of the panel from what I could see ... oh found it is 30" ... although a pretty large gap in the middle.

Went out and took some pictures of the heater. Mine is the space saver design "ECO SAVER 10 - Two 30 inch wide x 10 feet long solar panels". I have them on 1/4 inch foam board wrapped in black plastic and it's all laying right on the ground.
What my first photo shows is that each 30 inch wide panel is actually made of two 15 inch wide sections so what I received is actually more like 4 15 inch panels each with their own sections of header pipes on each end. The two inch gap between each section is where the header pipes connect to each other and they go together fairly easily using o rings to keep the water in. I really like that the water in and water out are on the same end of these panels.

This picture shows how the tubes are secured to the header and the header connection too. The tubes are pretty tough and the place where they join the big pipes feel extra thick and on top of that extra thickness they have a molded rubber compound of some sort that makes me think I won't ever have to worry about a leak from any of the end parts.

The box came with a few fittings including these that made it easy to plumb right into pvc

I don't know how these stack up to the competition but I do know that I haven't had a single problem with the eco saver brand so far and this one box of panels easily keeps our modest pool comfortable to swim in. The price isn't too shabby either.

4x20 Fafco solar Bear panels (one peice)...I run 2 right on the ground next to our pool and love them....scour craigslist as they tend to pop up this time of year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.