Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I Add Borates Now

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I Add Borates Now

I had a very good summer using the BBB method. I was lucky enough to find this website and start my new pool using BBB from the beginning. I think I'm ready to take the step to add borates but there is only about a month of swimming season left. Should I wait and do it when I open the pool next year?

Todays numbers
    FC 7.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.3
    TA 110
    CYA 40

Thanks Jim
    17500 gallon Sharkline Morada PUR RTR 18X40 54 tall, 1.5 Hayward cartridge filter,

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Should I Add Borates Now

You can add borates anytime, but if you drain for the winter I would wait. When you decide to do it, make sure you get your TA down to 70-80 ppm before doing it.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Olney, MD

Re: Should I Add Borates Now

Another benefit to waiting is that your borate test strips won't be opened and sit around for 9 months after you use just one strip for this last month. Order some in April and take your time over the winter stocking up in borax (if that is the method you choose).

Disclaimer: I have used borates in the past, but not for the last two years since I have infants in the pool regularly. When I did use borates, the water clarity was superb and the pH didn't need adjustments for two week spans.
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit