First trouble with algae -- not sure if I'm doing it right

PKGuy

May 3, 2012
Ph 7.5
FC 33
CC 0
TA 150
CYA 90 (I know it's an issue; will drain 50% at end of season)
CH 260

Water is clear, but I have accumulations of green algae(?) in the same places every day even after shocking and vacuuming.
Had FC at 24 for three days and just upped it to 33 yesterday. No appreciable drop in chlorine level overnight, but the green
stuff keeps on showing up. (see attached photos)

The crescent shaped ring seems to be right at the shadow line of the south & west walls.

BTW, pool calculator and the CYA/chlorine chart have different values from each other for shock level. Which one is best to follow?

Attachments

• 101_0009.JPG
    101_0009.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 101_0008.JPG
    101_0008.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 211
  • 101_0007.JPG
    101_0007.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 211
Re: First trouble with algae -- not sure if I'm doing it rig

Are you sure it is not pollen or something from outside the pool accumulating? Is it slimy?

You can use either shock level. The chart is a little more aggressive at higher CYA values. Note that the chart value is still lower than the mustard shock level in the calculator.

Two things:
1. What the heck is this "mustard algae" that has it's own listing and how would I identify it?
2. At what Ch level is it safe to go into the pool and swim? Or just go in to feel the green stuff?
One more thing--
So do I continue to keep the chlorine level this high if the water is clear and there are less than 1 CC?

I think we are past pollen season. The water temp has been up into the low 90's for about two weeks and leaves are starting to drop from the drought.

It is yellow algae ... but what you have.

Yes maintain the shock FC levels until you pass the 3 tests to stop.

We say it is safe when the FC is below shock level, and the CC are not more than 0.5ppm, and you can see the bottom of the pool.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I didn't quite understand your response: "It is yellow angae ... but what you have."
Does that mean I have it? Mine is green and just disperses like dust except for the bigger blobs need scrubbed off.
I upped my chlorine to 44. When doing the test, the sample gets clear, but still has some tint to it; not really red,
but not crystal clear. Whats up with that?

should have said ... Not what you have.

At high FC Levels, you likely need 2 scoops of powder ... You can not use too much, but can use too little.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I'm really puzzled.
Ph 7.5
FC 44
CC .5
TC 44.5
TA 150
CYA 90
FC has dropped 3 over the past two days
So the FC doesn't drop overnight, the water is clear, but I still have this green "stuff" accumulating after scrubbing and vacuuming.
I used to get the same type "stuff" on the bottom every couple days, but it was brown/greyish, not green. It just poofs away.
I blew it off as particles too fine for the filter to pick up. I use a sock on the skimmer basket when vacuuming. My concern now
is the green color. It always shows up in the same places in the same pattern like in the pictures.

My SO thinks this BBB is hokum and alchemy and wants me to go back to the pool store, pointing to this as justification.
Maybe a few different moderators can chime in so I can get some other perspectives.

Help me, I'm drowning.........

Help me, I'm drowning.........
You have been given good advice. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Then, read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School. It sounds like you are not shocking the pool properly......You ask whether to use the calculator or the chart for your shock value but you exceed both of them.

What you have in your pool sure looks like algae to me and adequate chlorine and following the shock process correctly (which includes several functions) will get rid of it.

The science behind what we teach is absolutely rock solid

It's probably not green, but yellow since yellow against a blue background looks green. Are you saying that when you vacuum it up to a skimmer sock that it looks green (and I assume the skimmer sock is white)? Since it is dust-like, it may be yellow/mustard algae or it could be pollen. If it's only on the shady side of the pool, it's more likely to be algae, but since it seems to be coming back even with very high FC, I'm guessing it's more likely to be pollen.

If you are able to capture it in the skimmer sock, then feel it between your fingers. If it's gritty, it's dirt; if it's squishy it's pollen; if it's slimy it's algae. If you have a microscope, then look at it under magnification. Dirt is jagged and uneven and solid; pollen is solid and usually spiky; algae is translucent and usually oblong.

Thanks for the added insight.
I do have trouble distinguishing between subtle shades of yellow and green and the blue background
issue does complicate things.

I got up to 49 (per pool calculator) for the mustard algae shock level due to the first response (a typo) about it being mustard algae.
The info under the chart says that lower FC levels will work but take longer. At my CYA level, mustard shock is
49 per the calculator, regular shock is 23.

As an experiment, I sucked out some of the stuff and put it in a white plastic tub (our pool enty foot bath) to see what would happen.
The stuff took 36 hours to seperate into the streaky configuration seen (maybe) in these pictures. It feels like nothing at all because it
just disappears when I put my finger on it. It hasn't "grown" any.

Does it look green or yellow to you?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 101_0017.JPG
    101_0017.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 101_0018.JPG
    101_0018.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 113

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Looks yellow to me. So that could either be yellow/mustard algae or pollen, but it doesn't look like green algae. If it were yellow/mustard algae, then if you were to give it indirect light and nutrients (a little fertilizer) in the water, then it will grow whereas pollen will not. If you were able to feel it, you could also tell the difference, but there doesn't seem to be enough of it. Anyway, you are in the process of shocking for yellow/mustard algae so just follow the rest of the instructions including getting behind any light niches (if any) and under removable ladders and cleaning poles/nets, etc.

i got something that may be off the wall but is it possible that the spots that it appears to gather in are indentations under the liner which is low spots and because of no circulation, the water just passes over it, i know in my pool i have a few low creases in the sand and everything gathers in those few spots? just a thought......Mike

Thank you all for the counsel.
Chemgeek: The only fertilizer I have is lawn "weed n feed"; will that work for my science experiment on growing mustard algae?
Fast1971chevelle: YES! When I changed the direction of my inlet jet and removed the steps, the pattern changed. And,
the stuff accumulates in other low lying areas and liner seams.
Swampwoman: Correct; but let me add that because I am frugal (cheap) last year I did not drain ANY water from my pool. I winterized
it with a skimmer cover and thought I would save $$$ on the water bill in Spring. Now I know there is another reason
to drain "pool store" water.

It seems like our winter closing this year is going to occur sooner than we wish. Temps only in mid 70's and dropping down to 50's overnight.

Thanks, again.

PKGuy said:
Chemgeek: The only fertilizer I have is lawn "weed n feed"; will that work for my science experiment on growing mustard algae?
No, "Weed 'N Feed" contains an herbicide in addition to a fertilizer. You just want a pure fertilizer, preferably complete (i.e. has nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.