Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Friend Needs help with his pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Friend Needs help with his pool

Ok so my buddy who has owned a pool for about three years came over this weekend and was shocked at the sparkle and quality of my water. Heis a little stressed because he has some bad build up on the floor and walls of his plaster pool. He says it's not algae but it is very hard and rough on feet. He just started noticing it this year and has slowly gotten worse. Neither one of us is Shute what it is. I explained a little of the BBBmethod and he was very interested. He admits he has been "pool stored" for the last three years and has spent tons of money on different products they recommend. I have offered to help since the only thing he has to test are test strips. I haven't seen the pool in about a year but he says the water is pretty clear right now but doesn't quite have the clear sparkle tha my water has. If that was his only issue I think I could help him pretty easily. The rough build up is the biggest concern.i am going to go over tommorow and do a full test on his water and will post all the numbers. Does anyone have any ideas about the build up and how to handle it. Is there anything I need to look for specifically to held identify.

Thanks in advance for your help
    16x40 16k gallon Gunite & Plaster with 10X16 sun deck/beach and Waterfall, 1 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, Pentair cartridge filter, Cover-Pools auto cover, Heliocol Solar heater, Pentair Easy Touch system with IntelliChlor Electronic Chlorine Generator, Pentair IntelliBright 5g LED light

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Friend Needs help with his pool

The first thing I would suspect is calcium scaling.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Will you be able to run a full set of test results including CH and post them? That's really the first step. Taking a pic and posting that may help as well.

Find out about the history....sounds like he has been throwing things in somewhat at random but find out how he has been chlorinating and controlling pH and TA (If at all)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I will post a full set numbers for all the tests tommorow. All I know for sure is he is using trichlor pucks and muratic acid. It doesn't sound like he ever has to raise his TA or PH just lower it once in a while. Of course he is only using strips and and only tests for chlorine , TA and PH. I will try and get a list of all the other junk the pool store has been selling him. If it is calcium build up what is the fix?
    16x40 16k gallon Gunite & Plaster with 10X16 sun deck/beach and Waterfall, 1 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, Pentair cartridge filter, Cover-Pools auto cover, Heliocol Solar heater, Pentair Easy Touch system with IntelliChlor Electronic Chlorine Generator, Pentair IntelliBright 5g LED light

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

There are several ways to fix it but first we need to see the numbers.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok. I will have them tommorow.

Thanks guys