SWCG and the vinyl liner pool

Azmp1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2012
Maryland
Folks,
I'm in the proccess of researching pool options and interviewing builders.

I'm still not decided if i will be going gunite or vinyl, but one open concern that i have (through what i've been reading) is a potential long term issue with using salt in a vinyl liner pool. The concern i've been reading about is a potential of saltwater vapor getting behind the liner and attacking the metal panels of the pool, eventually destroying the structure of the pool. I would think this wouldn't be an issue withe the gunite pool, but seems like a real possibilty on the vinyl liner pool.

Any thoughts/experrience on this?

Also, (so i don't have to create a separate thread), along the same lines, has anyone had any issues with SWCG causing issues to the automatic cover? I will more then likely be doing an auto cover, but again have the concern with salt.

Thanks,
Alex

SWGs will cause a metal wall to rust if, and this is a big if, you have a leak in the vinyl. Ground water is more of a concern to cause the metal wall to rust. We took delivery off a new wall kit and as we took it off the truck the panels were already showing surface rust. Now on the auto cover get a stainless steel mechanism and you should be fine.

All chlorine pools have salt in them. It a byproduct of most chlorine sources. A swg pool has only slightly higher salt content than a typical non swg pool, especially after the 1st year of use.

Thank you for the feedback guys, i'm starting to lean towards a gunite pool, so the liner would be a non-issue. I'm planning to call Zodiac and ask about any potential issues (as well as warrany issues) with the Coverpools cover and SWCG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.