Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWCG and the vinyl liner pool

1. Back To Top    #1

SWCG and the vinyl liner pool

Folks,
    I'm in the proccess of researching pool options and interviewing builders.

I'm still not decided if i will be going gunite or vinyl, but one open concern that i have (through what i've been reading) is a potential long term issue with using salt in a vinyl liner pool. The concern i've been reading about is a potential of saltwater vapor getting behind the liner and attacking the metal panels of the pool, eventually destroying the structure of the pool. I would think this wouldn't be an issue withe the gunite pool, but seems like a real possibilty on the vinyl liner pool.

Any thoughts/experrience on this?

Also, (so i don't have to create a separate thread), along the same lines, has anyone had any issues with SWCG causing issues to the automatic cover? I will more then likely be doing an auto cover, but again have the concern with salt.

Thanks,
    Alex
    19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWCG and the vinyl liner pool

SWGs are just fine with vinyl liner pools.

There are occasional reports of problems with SWGs and automatic covers with aluminum frames.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

SWGs will cause a metal wall to rust if, and this is a big if, you have a leak in the vinyl. Ground water is more of a concern to cause the metal wall to rust. We took delivery off a new wall kit and as we took it off the truck the panels were already showing surface rust. Now on the auto cover get a stainless steel mechanism and you should be fine.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

4. Back To Top    #4

All chlorine pools have salt in them. It a byproduct of most chlorine sources. A swg pool has only slightly higher salt content than a typical non swg pool, especially after the 1st year of use.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the feedback guys, i'm starting to lean towards a gunite pool, so the liner would be a non-issue. I'm planning to call Zodiac and ask about any potential issues (as well as warrany issues) with the Coverpools cover and SWCG.
    19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump

6. Back To Top    #6

FWIW, I have a SWCG and vinyl liner pool with poured concrete walls. No rusty panel worries
    18x36 Vinyl IG ~27,000 gal, Intelliflo VF Pump, 300# Sand Filter, Polaris 280 w/Pentair Booster Pump, Pentair EasyTouch w/ IC40 SWCG
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

FYI I have a vinyl pool but the structure is all gunite (no additional charge vs steel walls).
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing