anyone in NJ leave thier metal frame pool up in the winter

amd250

Jun 18, 2011
I know this is talked about alot, but I am nervous about having alot of snow on the cover and
the metal legs collapsing. The liner should be fine, I put a new 25mil pool liner inside the intex liner last week. I just don't want the have the pool collapse when it's cold and have water all over the
street or in my neighbors yard. The pool is at the very far corner of my yard, very far from my house, and about 15 feet from my neighbors house. Last year the winter was mild, the year before we got like 12-14 inches. Can anyone calm my fears? Are those metal legs strong, it's no the ultra, just the original metal legs.

Re: anyone in NJ leave thier metal frame pool up in the wint

This statement is just my opinion I would think that a cover on the pool such as your would be worse than having no cover. With that being said when snow and ice accumulate on top of the cover it puts a lot of stress on the legs from all the weight pushing down on the cover and would make the bottom of the legs kick out. Now without a cover it would be like just having a full pool all the weight is pushing straight down.I would cover it until after all the leaves are down then take it off that is what I am going to do with mine this winter......Mike

I agree with leaving the cover off as being safer/less stress if it fills with ice/snow. Last year I "closed" my AGP only because my pump was dieing and wanted to wait until Spring to buy a new pump although the warm Winter would have been a breeze to get through. One year I tried to cover my pool and it was a big failure so never again. This year I will be keeping it open and program pumping intervals when the temp drops below freezing. I don't have a large amount of leaves coming into my pool so that's a big help. I like the ability to filter year-round keeping the water clean so I have no extra work to do later. I live in SE VA.

I wonder if I can put some type of mesh material over it to keep the the debris out, but it allows the snow to go through. I don't have a problem with leaves. Should I drain any water out?

Should I use all the closing chemicals as normal just no cover?

A person down the road from me left their pro series up last year, empty, and it all caved in. I can't believe they are using it this year, one of the post is bent at a 45 degree angle. They obviously didn't know to leave some water in it. I wish I could get a pic of it, without looking like a weirdo, lol.

amd250 said:
I wonder if I can put some type of mesh material over it to keep the the debris out, but it allows the snow to go through. I don't have a problem with leaves. Should I drain any water out?

Should I use all the closing chemicals as normal just no cover?

Have you read the winterizing section in Pool School ? pool-school/winterizing%20and%20closing%20your%20above%20group%20pool

You can buy mesh pool tarps that let the water through and block debris. I've never used one but I fear snow would build up and be no different than a solid cover.

So I will buy a cheap cover keep it on until the snow starts falling, then take it off once the snow starts. I have a a 25mil reg pool liner inside the intex liner which is working great. So it's pretty durable so when the water freezes it will be ok. Can the water in a pool really freeze totally solid? There should be no worry of the ice bulging out the liner and moving the legs?

I'll be leaving my ultra frame up this winter and I'll be covering it. Not at all worried about snow "bending" the legs. Given the "D" shape of the tubing, it's A LOT stronger than you think.

bluefish it has nothing to do with the strenght of the legs the legs wil want to kick out because of the weight of the snow and ice accumulating on the cover and pressing downward towards the center of the pool and if you have the cover tied to the top rail or anchored to the ground in some fashion or worse tied to the rope around the bottom of the legs what s gonna happen when you get 2 or 3 tons of snow and ice on top of that cover? the best you could hope for would be for the cover to rip apart.....jmo.....Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

After reading the posts and talking to a few people I know, I am going to buy a cover during the fall until the snow starts, then i will have no cover until the snow season is over. Then deal with the pool after that. I am thinking of putting Chlorine in the pool like once a every few weeks just to keep the water from going green. Not sure if I need to do that.

Well I am going to leave my intex pool with 25mil liner inside up all winter too. Been reading up on winterizing and finding a cover also on here. I was thinking about getting a solid cover and also getting a couple of air pillows to keep the cover from sinking down. That way the snow and debri would not have a way to build up (but still might). Other thought is to by the mech cover with the air pillows. Might be a flip of a coin and try it out and post the results next year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.