bees have invaded my pool

Iciee

Jul 5, 2011
phoenix
over the last couple weeks we have have had a growing number of bees clinging to to the water level (rolled pebble edge). My house backs up to a canal and then its just state land (desert mountains). I have been working with the company in charge of the canal and they hired a bee person to take a look and determined there must be multiple hives at the mountain behind my house (about 3 miles away).
Has anyone ever dealt with bees or have any suggestions on how to handle this?
We have been unable to use our pool for the last 4 weeks and with temps at 110-115 now I need these things gone or to go find a new water source (don't know why they are not getting water from the canal).
IMG_0498.jpg

Iciee said:
over the last couple weeks we have have had a growing number of bees clinging to to the water level (rolled pebble edge). My house backs up to a canal and then its just state land (desert mountains). I have been working with the company in charge of the canal and they hired a bee person to take a look and determined there must be multiple hives at the mountain behind my house (about 3 miles away).
Has anyone ever dealt with bees or have any suggestions on how to handle this?
We have been unable to use our pool for the last 4 weeks and with temps at 110-115 now I need these things gone or to go find a new water source (don't know why they are not getting water from the canal).
IMG_0498.jpg

Euck! We have some wasps that decided to make our pool their water source but I found them and "persuaded them" to stop - living that is...

Could you try setting up a water source like a bird bath that isn't chlorinated near the pool and see if they migrate to it. Maybe run the pool up to MA shock to discourage them a little? Can you spray a bug repellant on the rim of the pool and lower your water a little?

Running a fountain from one of your returns aimed that direction may discourage them from getting their water there. Be sure and set up a small plastic kiddie pool as far from your pool as you can to give them a fresh water source.

read somewhere that they are attracted to the chlorine in the pool So far I bought some plastic painters tarp and put a pool noodle in there letting it hang over the edge. This kept the bees from going there but the just moved over to the non covered area. Might change my pool to run during the day and see if the water movement from the waterfall/ and cleaner may keep them off if not will have to buy a lot more noodles and platic :grrrr:

I have a pool fool of wasps. Very difficult to even get in or out of the pool with at least 20 on the ladder. Plus all the ones floating on the water. Unfortunately only about 1 a day ends up in skimmer. I have sprayed all around the house and garage and barns but I live on 10 acres in the country and they could be anywhere. I'll be watching this thread for suggestions. A small pool won't work because the dogs will just drink it or splash it empty while playing. Going to try borates but have to get TA down from 150 first. Hopefully someone will have other suggestions as well. Thank you!

I have not tried borates yet but I think that may be the next step. Forgot to mention the wife is allergic to more things then I care to count and we are not sure if a bee is one of them (never been stung by one) but we don't want to find out. Also thought about a super soaker with some water and dish soap to kill the bees but I think i would just get a new batch every day :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.