Mid-season baquacil conversion

Jul 31, 2012
I know this would have been a lot easier if I had waited until Spring, but we had an algae problem that we just couldn't get rid of with baq. Since we weren't really able to use the pool anyway, I decided to go ahead and try the conversion using the method described here.

So it was less than a week since I'd last added baquacil. There was a lot of yellow goo. But after about a week, that's all gone now. The water has been very clear but still has a slight green or yellow tint.

However at this point I feel like I've stopped making progress. For the last 3 or 4 mornings, I've been right around 7 ppm FC and 3.5 CC. Since the water is looking so much better, every morning I expect to finally see more FC holding. Is this anything to be concerned about? Does anyone have a guess on how many days I have left?

I hate to say it but especially in your case there are a lot of moving parts. Some people it goes quick, others it just takes some time for the chlorine to chew through all the junk in the pool. Sounds like it’s been a week now, and from what others have posted, just a large algae bloom can take sometimes a week or more to squash. It sounds like you’re making good progress, just keep the FC up as consistently as possible and SCRUB, SCRUB, SCRUB. Get as much of the organics in the chlorine bath as possible to speed up the process. Any sediment at the bottom of the pool – leaves, junk, etc – get it out so the FC can focus on the conversion of the baq and any remaining algae.

During my conversion – my progress “plateaued” for a couple days while the chlorine did it’s work. What I saw, was that my water ever so slightly changed from green -> light green -> Light green/blue -> blue then just continued to lighten. Don’t let it get you down, there are a couple threads on there that have taken quite some time to get converted, sometimes it just takes a bit more time. By the way – were using regular baq or the CDX – I’ve heard it takes a bit more time if you have used the CDX variant.

Last note – take photos – we love to see photos! And if nothing else, help you compare day to day progress. It may not look like much, until you look at where you came from – trust me, it really helped my mental state of mind when I could look at progress for the $$ I was dumping in my pool!

:nopic:

Thanks for the reassurance. Yeah, I was using CDX. I think I have seen some progress over the last couple days. CC is down to about 1 ppm now. FC is still dropping about the same amount overnight though, from 15 down to 6 or 7.

The water has been looking very clear for about a week now. The filter pressure is back to its normal level (around 11psi) and isn't increasing at a noticeable rate anymore. Since I got the last of the baqua-goo vacuumed out on Sunday, I haven't seen anymore being produced. I'm wondering if I could go ahead and replace the sand now or if its important to wait on that until i'm completely done.

Yeah I wish I would have taken some pictures at the beginning. It looks a lot less interesting now.

No problem on the photos - sounds like you are making great progress. :goodjob: If you're still dropping FC by half, it sounds like there is something hidden that needs to come out. Have you popped out any lights (check out the comments here baquacil-conversion-t51643-20.html#p428415 -)
illpwr said:
I cleaned a couple of spots on the pool. Namely, the skimmer housing had a film on a lot of its parts, and behind the light was super gross. There was a lot of algae and who knows what living back there. I brushed it out and cleaned the light as best I could with bleach water. Hopefully, that will help us hit CC=0.5.
After dinner, we vacuumed, back washed, and tested the chlorine levels: FC=14.5, CC=1.5. I assume the CC is killing that algae I stired up
The hidden nasties can take some time if they don't get scrubbed out and into the shock level chlorine bath. As for the sand - personally I would wait. I would put your efforts into getting into every nook and cranny to uncover anything that could be causing you problems.

I looked back through, what is your CYA level? It will make a difference when performing the OCLT if you're adding Chlorine before the sun goes down, or after it comes up.

You're battling both Baq and algae, it may take a bit longer.

I imagine the Baq and Chlorine conversation in your pool:
Baq: "I was here first, I'LL take care of this algae!"
CL: "You weren't doing a very good job, that's why I was brought in! And after I take care of this green stuff, I'm coming after you!"
:hammer: :shock:

Dan

Oops. There's a main drain that goes to a valve that switches between that and the skimmer. I've had the drain side of that closed the whole time. The drain and underground piping probably has a bunch of stuff in it. I'll switch that over when i get home.

I haven't tested CYA, but I'm assuming its 0 since I haven't added any yet. I shouldn't add any until I meet the criteria for being done, right?

I sometimes add the last chlorine as early as 8:30, so after the sunset but its still somewhat light out. I usually test in the morning between 6 and 6:30, so its starting to get light, but there isn't direct sunlight on the pool yet.

Two thoughts.......

1. There have been some issues with the swap when users used the CDX. I'll try to find the links.

2. Don't add cya yet, or test for it. It's zero for now. It may make it worthwhile to shock only at night. What are your test results??? What does the water look like?

3. What type of filter do you have??

benweiser said:
Oops. There's a main drain that goes to a valve that switches between that and the skimmer. I've had the drain side of that closed the whole time. The drain and underground piping probably has a bunch of stuff in it. I'll switch that over when i get home.
Any way you can switch it over and pump that water to waste? Get what's in pipe out of the system, then go back to filter? that would be shame at this point to inject (possibly known) bad water into your nearly clean pool!

benweiser said:
I haven't tested CYA, but I'm assuming its 0 since I haven't added any yet. I shouldn't add any until I meet the criteria for being done, right?
No - don't add any yet

benweiser said:
I sometimes add the last chlorine as early as 8:30, so after the sunset but its still somewhat light out. I usually test in the morning between 6 and 6:30, so its starting to get light, but there isn't direct sunlight on the pool yet.
perfect, I was assuming there was no CYA, and was making sure the chlorine was not getting burned up by the sun, but it sounds like that's not the case.

To me it just sounds like it's just a waiting game for the chlorine to finish getting any remaining gunk out of all the nooks and crannies. Keep rocking it man, you're making progress! :whoot:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.