1" pucks -- how much Chlorine and CYA? and other puck info

karengr

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2012
San Mateo, California
Hello,

Pool is running clear, but I'm getting tired of adding bleach every other day. I want to raise my CYA. (my readings below)

I have a small pool, and would like to try 1" pucks.

How much FC and CYA can I expect from 1" pucks? (as in ppm per 10,000 gal per puck)

Is their composition and chemical release rate the same as 3" pucks?

Thanks!

pH 7.8
FC 6.0
CC 0.5
TA 70
CalHard CH 250
CYA < 20

Re: 1" pucks -- how much Chlorine and CYA? and other puck in

They are like 3" tablets with a weight of 0.5oz of trichlor. For 10k water each will add .3fc and .2cya.

For 2600 gallons they add 1.3fc and .8cya.

Thank you!

My summary for anyone researching this post in the future:

Pucks can come in different sizes (like 1 " or 3 " diameter) and different composition (like Trichlor or CalHypo or other). Be sure to read the package.

In the pool calculator at poolcalculator.com, you can find the "Effects of Adding Chemicals" by typing in how many oz your puck is, and what it's main chemical is. Type in your pool water volume at the top, and it will caluclate the amount of FC, CYA, etc will result from your puck.

For my 1" TriChlor puck, which weighs about 0.5 oz. it will add 0.3 FC and 0.2 CYA into a 10,000 gallon pool.

Good summation. The Cal Hypo pucks you may see around (on uninformed websites) are really not designed for pool use and the forum discourages the use of them. They CANNOT be used in a tri-chlor feeder.

Just wondering how much FC and CYA 3" pucks add to a 20,000 gallon pool? Just trying to bring my cya up from 30. Am I losing CYA from rain water and backwashing through the season? What other effects do the pucks have on the balance of the water? Thanks DW6

3" pucks vary often in how many oz of trichlor they are. Most are either 7 or 8 oz....but the weight of your pucks will alter these numbers slightly. In The swim pucks are 7oz while Leslies weight 8oz.

FC 2.4
CYA 1.5
Ph will be lowered 0.13

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.