Interesting observation about bleach tonight

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
I was at my local HEB and went to the bleach aisle and it was empty or at least I thought it was. I went down the aisle and it looks like they got rid of the 6% bleach and is being replaced with 8.25% bleach. This included clorox brand and the HEB brand. On the container it said now concentrated and of course the smaller quanity equals more than the old 6%. They had the smell ones, but of course I got just the regular bleach. So not sure if this is something new for Clorox or what, but just wanted to give a heads up. It was 1.99 for 64 ounces. Not sure if that was a good deal or not but I needed bleach.

Thanks.

It's all about the shipping. It costs a lot to ship water. :-D

As a side note; The new stuff is made with a new process that strips a lot of the salt and lye out of it. That makes the shelf life a lot longer.

mynewpool said:
On the container it said now concentrated and of course the smaller quanity equals more than the old 6%. So not sure if this is something new for Clorox or what, but just wanted to give a heads up. It was 1.99 for 64 ounces. Not sure if that was a good deal or not but I needed bleach.

Thanks.

I'm not sure how they figure this is more. The way I figure it: 64oz at 8.25% is 92% as much sodium hypochlorite as 96oz of 6%. Put another way - I used the Chlorine Cost Spreadsheet to normalize both a 96oz jug at 1.99 (my local generic 6% at Food Lion) to the 64oz 8.25% and comparing the cost of each expressed in 6% strength gallons:

6% 96oz @ $1.99 = $2.65/gallon of 6%
8.25% 64oz @ $1.99 = $2.89/gallon of 6%

mynewpool said:
It says the 64 ounces is equivalent to 96 ounces at the lower strength.

As UWV shows, it is not the equivalent amount of HCL ... almost 10% less. Cheaper for them to ship. And you are getting less product for the same cost.

Could be nice if they put it is 182oz jugs though ... less to carry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mynewpool said:

For laundry it may be the same number of loads but only if the reduced the amount of oxidizing power per load.

Math does not lie. Advertisers, labels, etc do.

UnderWaterVanya said:
mynewpool said:

For laundry it may be the same number of loads but only if the reduced the amount of oxidizing power per load.

Math does not lie. Advertisers, labels, etc do.
The way i learned it was

Figures don't lie, but liars figure.

This is especially important to remember in an election year.

The 182 oz jug at the same price would be a better deal.

Here's one way to do the math:

182 oz * 6% = 182 * 0.06 = 10.92 units of bleach
121 oz * 8.25% = 121 * 0.825 = 9.98 units of bleach
% = partial / total , so 9.98 / 10.92 = 0.91 = 91%

I rounded off some of the numbers, but they don't change the analysis. For pools you aren't getting as good of a deal as before if prices remain constant.

brg88tx said:
so we're getting around a 9-10% screwing with this "new and improved" bleach

Yes - although my suspicion is that prices may drift up or down from the current pricing as competition tests the waters. In theory if the process isn't more expensive the ultimate cost should go down since they can pack more per truck/train etc.

I bought some of this concentrated bleach today. My bottle is 121 oz. The pool calculator has a spot to specify 8.25%, however, it does not allow for the new 121 ounce bottle. The bottle says "the old 182 @6%=the new 121 ounces @8.25%. based on this, do I 'pretend that is is 182 ounces of 6%?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.