Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY "L" Shaped Concrete Pool Build

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY "L" Shaped Concrete Pool Build

Just starting to break ground, very early stages. Pool will be 12x26 (12 feet wide at the entrance running 26 feet which overlooks the canal) and 18x36 (shallow end (3.5 feet) to deep end (6 feet) ). New home is also being built simultaneously, this will be a long one. Roughly 1.5 years on the entire project :P

Ocean View (to the right)

Canal View (a little to the left)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DIY "L" Shaped Concrete Pool Build

Quite the ambitions project, but it looks like you have the toys to make it happen! That is a great view, where is it?
    16'x32' -> 3' shallow, 8' deep ~22,000 gallon igp - Vinyl Liner.
    Sand Filter: Jacuzzi 225l-7 Sand Filter - 250lbs
    Pump: Hayward Max-Flo XL 1hp
    SWG: CircuPool RJ+ 60
    Water Source: Home Tap water (TA:230, CH:220)

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks radefeld, it's definitely a great view. We're located in the Bahamas.

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow, gorgeous! How deep will the bottom of the pool shell be with respect to the water table? It seems like being that close to the canal, you are going to have issues with hydrostatic pressure trying to pop the shell up.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

5. Back To Top    #5

The 26 foot side of the pool which faces the canal starts where the backhoe is digging (this area is actually elevated a few feet up from the ground) in the first picture, there will also be a retaining wall before the pool wall (you can see the corner of the retaining wall in the first picture as well). The area where the rebar is already laid down will be stamped concrete just like the two sides on either side of it, this will be the 1st level or dock. We're going to pour the bottom of the pool shell 6-8 inches (same with the walls using forms), it's practically solid rock beneath us as you can see in the second picture. Not much soil here.

6. Back To Top    #6

I showed this to my wife - she mentioned that we would be more than happy to come and help on the construction - you just let me know when you need us!
    16'x32' -> 3' shallow, 8' deep ~22,000 gallon igp - Vinyl Liner.
    Sand Filter: Jacuzzi 225l-7 Sand Filter - 250lbs
    Pump: Hayward Max-Flo XL 1hp
    SWG: CircuPool RJ+ 60
    Water Source: Home Tap water (TA:230, CH:220)

7. Back To Top    #7

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to TFP, igodeep!

Pretty spectacular view! I've always thought waterfront property with a pool would be the best of both worlds. Sometimes the pool is just the best place to swim.

Please keep us updated w/ lots of pics.

Cheers!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the welcome CUTiger78, I'll do my best to post lots of pics during the build which will include some pics of the house being built as both are being built simultaneously.

10. Back To Top    #10

Very rough layout (apologies in advance ) of the back area of the property.

Level 1 - Stamped concrete dock (the pink/terracotta area in pic #1 of my first post) with steps leading up to level 2
    Level 2 - Pool, pool deck and BBQ area with steps leading up to level 3
    Level 3 - More terrace leading into the ground floor (1st floor) of the house

11. Back To Top    #11

Not a whole lot to report pool wise other then digging through tons of solid rock but we've made good progress on the house.

12. Back To Top    #12

Beautiful location but being an engineer and realizing that this is in the Bahamas; Do you have any storm surge concerns? Seems like even a Cat1 or 2 Hurricane would send waves of sea water up and into the pool?
    22 x 36 In Ground Vinyl - 23K Gal - Saltwater - Tara Liner
    1hp 2-speed Hayward Super Pump, Hayward 6060 Booster Pump
    Hayward SwimClear C3030 Filter, Hayward 400Btu NG Heater
    Hayward Aqualogic PS-4, Polaris 280 Cleaner, ColorLogic 4.0 LED

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by radefeld
    I showed this to my wife - she mentioned that we would be more than happy to come and help on the construction - you just let me know when you need us!
    My wife said the same thing! I'll even help keep the pool balanced using the the BBB method.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by aeromorris05
    Beautiful location but being an engineer and realizing that this is in the Bahamas; Do you have any storm surge concerns? Seems like even a Cat1 or 2 Hurricane would send waves of sea water up and into the pool?

Thanks for the concern, it is entirely possible we will get ocean surge from a CAT1 and above. We took this into consideration for the pool (and more importantly the house) and built up to where we felt comfortable without sacrificing the aesthetics of the overall build. The pool level will be roughly 8 feet above sea level (at high tide) and the ground level of the house will be 14+ feet above sea level. The way we see it is that if a storm comes along which is powerful enough (and approaches us in the path to push surge in our direction) the pool is the last thing to be worried about but we'll be more then safe inside the home.

15. Back To Top    #15

Cool. Now that I've confirmed I'll be safe. I'm patiently awaiting an invite.
    22 x 36 In Ground Vinyl - 23K Gal - Saltwater - Tara Liner
    1hp 2-speed Hayward Super Pump, Hayward 6060 Booster Pump
    Hayward SwimClear C3030 Filter, Hayward 400Btu NG Heater
    Hayward Aqualogic PS-4, Polaris 280 Cleaner, ColorLogic 4.0 LED