New here: use pool store advise for now? Replace SWG cell?

bobhatfield

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 12, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Our IntelliChlor IC-40 Cell died a few years ago and at the recommendation of our local pool supply place, rather than replace it, I've been tossing chlorine pucks in a floater in my pool. I realize after stumbling on this site that this is not recommended -- I also realize, my water may need serious work. (However, the pool has been crystal clear for years.)

Questions:

Until I get good at the maintenance guidelines on this site, should I take my water to the pool store and use what they recommend to get it where is should be?

After getting my chemistry back in order should I consider replacing the cell and using the SWG or just continuing without it as many people I've spoken with recommend?

-Bob

Re: New here: use pool store advise for now? Replace SWG cel

Welcome to tfp, bobhatfield :wave:

bobhatfield said:
Until I get good at the maintenance guidelines on this site, should I take my water to the pool store and use what they recommend to get it where is should be?
We would recommend getting your own appropriate test kit and learning (all you need to know is on this site) how to maintain your pool. See this link for test kits: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison I like the tf-100, most bang for buck and fast shipping.

bobhatfield said:
After getting my chemistry back in order should I consider replacing the cell and using the SWG or just continuing without it as many people I've spoken with recommend?
The swg is really just another way to get chlorine in a pool. I personally love mine, but it sure is not needed...what is needed is proper levels of FC (for a pool cya level).

Pool school (link at upper right of each page) has a ton of information that can help you! Let us know what questions you have.

bobhatfield:

Welcome to TFP :wave:

The best thing you can do is order a good test kit (see Test Kit Comparison link in my signature). While you are waiting for the test kit to arrive, begin reading the articles in Pool School. I would recommend eventually reading all the Pool School articles, but I would start here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/category.php?c=pool_chemistry.

I would avoid taking samples to the pool store for testing. As you become more familiar with the forum, you will discover that pool store test results often differ significantly with your test results and that your results are much more likely to be accurate. Some pool stores will use their test results to sell you stuff you do not need.

As for the SWG, I would suggest doing without it unless you travel frequently and the pool is left unattended for significant periods of time and instead manually chlorinate your pool using plain unscented bleach or liquid chlorine. With SWG, you will be replacing cells about every 3-5 years. In addition, if you decide to get an energy-saving pump in the future, you may need to run it at higher RPM / flow rates compared to a manually chlorinated pool in order to get the SWG to work properly. This would negate some of the energy savings of such a pump.

BoDarville said:
As for the SWG, I would suggest doing without it unless you travel frequently and the pool is left unattended for significant periods of time ... In addition, if you decide to get an energy-saving pump in the future, you may need to run it at higher RPM / flow rates compared to a manually chlorinated pool in order to get the SWG to work properly. This would negate some of the energy savings of such a pump.
I was thinking it may smooth out my lack of attention to maintenance as well as offset the cost a bit on chemicals. I was not aware it wouldn't work as well with an energy-saving pump though - good point.

You've both convinced me to forgo the pool store and instead purchase the test kit and get understanding.

Thank you!

the SWG have flow switches, some are fine on low speed ... Just depends on your plumbing and pump setup. With a variable speed you could adjust the speed just above that required to keep the flow switch activated.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

With your own test kit you will know what your pool needs and with the pool calculator you will know how much to add.....no guessing, when I bought my pool I bought a add on swg and after filling my pool and getting my water in balance and seeing how easy it is to maintain I took back the swg and got my money back. It takes me about 10 minutes each evening to properly maintain my pool, this site is a wealth of information free to whoever wants to use it...great site.....enjoy and welcome to TFP.....Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.