Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pools. Green water!

1. Back To Top    #1

New to pools. Green water!

I've got a 8200 gal above ground pool with a cartridge filter and a SWG. I live in rural Nova Scotia Canada. I set the pool up 6 weeks ago. I couldn't get a water truck to come fill it. I filled it with water out of my tap which is feed by a natural spring. Initially I had sediment in the pool which caused a brown cloudy looking water. Now my pool is still cloudy but has a green cast to it. It doesn't appear to be algea its just green. I have used non-chlorine shock, hypochlorite, and algeacide. Haven't noticed a change. Any ideas? The last test I did this am was FC 5.1 PH 7.2 and ALK 88 with an Aqua check digital strip reader. I tried the regular compare colour strips but I couldn't determine the colours, I have a diffencency in colour definition (partial colour blindness). I would like to have the water Proffesionaly tested but can't find a shop locally (within 150 miles) that can test it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to pools. Green water!

Your best bet would be to get a FAS-DPD test and run an OCLT.

The pic looks like dead algae and if it is, it'll just take a while for the filter to remove it all.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

professionally tested by a pool store is kind of an oxymoron. We see so often on the forums that pool stores testing leaves much to be desired and the only thing worse is test strips.

The recommended drop kits require counting drops needed to make the color change, but color matching, so that might work for you.

If you search in the forum for test kits in Canada you can find the Taylor distributor.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to tfp, NovaNewfie

I would echo the need for an appropriate test kit. The TF-100 is the best bang for buck with fast shipping too.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Welcome to tfp, NovaNewfie

I would echo the need for an appropriate test kit. The TF-100 is the best bang for buck with fast shipping too.
    Too bad she's in Canuckistan, where Someone else has the Taylor monopoly so no US vendors can sell the stuff competitively priced.

I would say trying the shock process for a couple days, then if it doesn't start to clear up, it might be time for some sort of floc or clarifier. I have no idea what's for sale in rural Nova Scotia,
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Too bad she's in Canuckistan, where Someone else has the Taylor monopoly so no US vendors can sell the stuff competitively priced.
    doh
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry guys I'm not a she... I've had the green discolouration for about 4-5 weeks running the filter 24/7 cleaning and or replacing filter daily still getting a lot of red pug (fine reddish clay sediment). I've added non chlorine shock and 10.5% hypochlorite on two occasions 5L at a time in a 32'000 litre pool the jug says that 1 litre per 10'000 L is enough to super chlorinate. Was running the SWG 12 hours a day (never used the pool for 3 weeks as wife and son were away). I've since cut it back to six hours a day as cl reading (if correct) were up around 30ppm.
    I belive a test kit would be in order if I could find one that would work correctly. I've got 4 or 5 different strips and the digital reader they seem to vary considerably in consecutive tests. The digital reader from accuchek is crazy as h**l I can take two consecutive readings one after the other and get reading on both ends of the scale one reading may say PH is low and ALK is hi and CL may be 25 next test PH and ALK are ok and CL is 2 both tests taken at same spot two monutes apart.

8. Back To Top    #8

Unfortunately, your choices are few for a good kit up in the Great White North. Here is where many canucks get their kits: http://piscines-apollo.com/