DE in pool, ClearFlo filter- new grids or new filter

moeman

Jul 28, 2011
CT
Last year, I upgraded from an old dying hayward 1 HP, to a full rated 1 HP Superflo 2 speed. Filter is a stainless steel tank, Heldor Clearflo DE36, might be 15+ years old, with a heldor SP710 multiport valve. Not sure how old the grids in the filter are, but i know they are more than 8 years old. InGround vinyl pool 16x32. With old pump may psi was 15. now with new pump psi is 20-22.

So, on with the problem. Last week, i woke up to a cloudy pool with a bit of light green color. Went to a franchised pool store, tested water and they recommended to shock it. Shocked with filter running for 24hours. Algae dead, brown dust on floor of pool, so I manually vacuumed, and backwashed filter, new DE added. I noticed that DE was lightly flowing into pool through the closest return. I took apart the filter, DE was nicely caked on to the grids, individual grids look fine, no noticeable holes, or tears, except two grids that have a black coloring in the lower 6 inches, which was not there, last year. After assembling the filter i noticed that the O ring on the stand pipe was shot. Thought that this was the problem. So i replaced it. Looked at the multiport spider gasket, it has rounded edges. Is that right? Vacuumed to waste yesterday and did another backwash on filter, added new de. still same problem. Now my filter runs at 15psi, which is strange since for the past few months, its been reading 20/22 psi. this seemed a little high. when it was running at 22psi, you can see the top of the stainless steel filter tank swell up slightly.

Anyway to make a long story short. I took my problems to the expensive local pool professionals in my town. I trust them, they are very reputable. In fact they installed this pool 20 years ago. They have the grids at $28 per grid. That's over $200 for a complete set. Amazon has a complete set of Unicell grids for $86. They also said that it might be time to replace the old ClearFlo with a new 36sq ft Pentair filter for $750. and a new valve for $150. That's going to be $1000 with tax and install labor.

Are they right, should i buy a new filter, or should i just replace the grids and valve spider gasket? Are the Unicell grids any good?

Could the black on the grids be from PhosFree w/Pool Perfect?

Thanks,
Moe

The filter returning DE to the pool indicates either torn grids or a leak by them. You should be able to repair any leak or replace the grids without replacing the filter. However, if the filter is very much too small for the pump you have now, a new filter might be a better buy in the long run. Do you know what size your filter is?

If you're handy at all you can easily replace the filter yourself.

My Heldor Clearflo DE36 filter specs from the side of the tank are as follows:

filtration area: 36 sq ft
flow rate with slurry: 108 GPM residential / 90 GPM public
max working pressure: 50 psi
de amount: 5.5 lbs

i'll take the filter apart later today, and inspect every inch.

What do you think about replacing the grids with Unicell brand grids, sold at amazon for $86 free shipping. The unicell website looks like they know what they are doing. I wonder if the pro pool store grids are the same units for more than twice the price.

I am handy, so i'm really not worried about the filter install. I installed the new pump myself, of course had the 230v electrical work done by a pro. i just don't want to drop $900 for simple $100 fix. Especially since, we are planning to sell the house in a year.

moe

I am pretty sure I replaced mine with Unicel ... seem more sturdy than the crushed ones I found in the filter when we moved in.

Filbur is another good option.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Cool, thanks.

Well, I dismantled the filter. There was a hole about an inch long at the bottom, under the folded seam, which is why I never saw it before. Wow, that was a relief. I was hoping for a hole, and not a pipe or manifold crack. I sewed it up with a needle and 6lb test fishing line. It should hold for a few days before the Chlorine does a number to the fishing line. Ordered a new set of unicel grids from amazon, and should be here on Tuesday. Also, picked up a Poolmaster Premier 27412 vac head for $22.

The patched filter has been running for the last two hours and I can totally see a change in clarity, especially in the low end.

When i put the new grids in, can i pour the 5.5lb of de directly into the filter tank before i button it up, or should i use the skimmer as usual? I ask because my pump/filter is in the garage and it takes a minute or two to get the de in the skimmer.

Thanks, Moe

Resolved!

thanks everyone for your help.

the fishing line patch worked perfectly for the last few days. I replaced the filter grids with the unicel grids yesterday and they work great. I should have done this years ago. My filter pressure is now at 12psi and my water is sparkling. I guess those old grids were clogged, and i never knew it. The local pro pool store that wanted my business, called me today, to see if i wanted to buy new grids for over $250. I told her, that i already bought a new set of grids for $86. She nearly choked. Gotta love the internet!

:-D thanks again,

moe

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.