Feedback from first 3 months of using BBB method

jp4120

May 11, 2012
Norristown, PA
first year using TFP advice and a K2006 test kit - previous 14 years only tested for Chlorine and PH - and used the Frog system.
this year, no frog system expensive stuff and all key levels based on TFP recommendations.

Water quality this year is best ever so far, only adding 2 to 3 gallons of bleach per week and still keeping FC at 3.0, but I do use a floater with trichlor tabs just to be safe. I only shocked once this year to open. In previous years I was shocking weekly, using lots of chlorine powder but I probably had CYA levels of zero. I am assuming my CYA of 40 to 50 is protecting my FC from burning up in the sun.

current levels 8/12
FC = 3.0
CC = 0.0
PH = 7.5
TA = 260
CYA = 52
Water Temp = 80.

I have to get FC up to 4.0 per the Chlorine/CYA chart, but should I be concerned about lowering CYA? or is this almost ideal?

I guess I am afraid of FC dropping if I don't test for couple days.

in your opinion, would I be better off not using the pucks, because they increase the CYA levels? just stick with liquid bleach and occasional powder (I have left over powder from last season)

i would just use bleach no powder or pucks they will continue to add cya and 50 ppm for a non swg pool is about perfect, what i do is test mine every evening about 8:30 pm and i add enough bleach to bring mine up to 8 ppm which is a couple above my target per my cya of 50 and by the next night with all day sunlight and moderate swimmer load i lose between 2 and 3 ppm which is still plenty safe above my 3 ppm minimum, but all pools are different, that works for me and i have never had a problem......Mike

Oh, that is better :)

Then just keep track of your CH since you will add to it every time you use calhypo. Our commendation is 250-350 ppm CH for plaster pools (but of course other parameters can play in here...see the link I posted above).

started using liquid bleach only, no powder or pucks.
first year using BBB method - with great results, usually have green algae spots by mid Aug, and this year no algae yet.

wondering if my liquid bleach usage is typical or better/worse, seems great to me, I used to shock weekly plus use the frog system.
1.42 gallons about every 2 days (half bottle each day) for 27/28,000 gallon pool. so about $10 / week for chlorine., this keeps my levels between 2 and 4/5 - also haven't shocked all season (4 mth season 5/15 to 9/15)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.