Is HCL - Muriatic Acid the same thing as HCI - Hydrochloric

Is HCL - Muriatic Acid the same thing as HCI - Hydrochloric Acid?

I googled it and i read that its the same thing however, I want to ask you guys -- reason being I've used this acid to clean my pool, and I am a bit worried of adding it to lower PH scared it will harm swimmers in my pool, particularly kids?

Re: Is HCL - Muriatic Acid the same thing as HCI - Hydrochlo

SerbianPoolGuy said:
thanks.

one bottle of hcl is 1 dollar.. 1kg of ph minus at the pool store is 14 dollars.. how come such a huge difference in price?

That's how pool stores stay in business. There are several examples of the same thing. The pool store I go to has 50 lb bags of sodium bicarbonate for $22. They also sell 10 lb buckets of "alkalinity up" which is the same thing for $14.95. I saw a sales guy sell a customer two of the $14.95 buckets and asked him why he did not recommend the 50 lb bag and he told me Alkalinity up was sodium hydrogen carbonate not sodium bicarbonate and it did a better job. Actually they are exactly the same thing.

SerbianPoolGuy said:
haha incredible

.wife is shocked i want to pour acid she uses to clear lime build up into our pool worried it will burn the skin of our 2 year old

Remind her that acid is sold by % and that percentage determines how strongly it reacts. Then make some tea and pour a glass into an opaque glass and have her look at the color. Then take the same amount of tea and pour it into a 5 gallon bucket filled with water. Show the color difference to your wife to demonstrate how dillution is going to impact the concentration of the acid and remind her that the pool volume is many many many many times the volume of the bucket. By the time you add that acid to a pool - it's no longer really strong at all - but it does react with the alkalinity and lower the pH.

When you add the acid - just make sure everyone stays out of the pool for 30 mins while the pump is running. This will circulate things to the point there are not any concentrated areas. You might also brush the pool at the same time - this will help mix it up faster than not brushing and kills two birds with one stone.

SerbianPoolGuy said:
the hcl i got is 12% but they also got 16 to 18% are these both ok?

Those should all work fine. The stuff I got is 31.45% which takes a lot less at a time.

My wife and son had the same concerns about adding muratic acid to our pool, she was so worried about it that she googled it and called the.pool stores and asked them if it was ok and then she believed me. Of coarse she is the same one that thought bleach in the pool would turn her hair green, she is so silly.........Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Since I refilled the pool I poured in about 13 gallons... (50 liters or so).. not at once, but gradually as I monitor the PH.

My wife says the pool water smells like HCL, i think it smells like chlorine.... in any case it smells like some chemical.. however, I keep the PH at 7.4, and the CL at 3-4FC.. so why/how come there's chemical smell?

generally the pool smell is from CC in the water, which also indicates not enough FC.

Remind us what your CYA level is to determine if your reported FC is enough. Do you have the ability to test for CC?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

could not remember if you had gotten the kit yet ... it will make knowing your pool so much easier.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I can't wait, it's been total chaos to find it, but I ordered it through a friend in the states, as well as from Taylor's European distributor in Slovakia.
I have to update my research thread, Taylor can be bought in the EU :D

UnderWaterVanya said:
SerbianPoolGuy said:
the hcl i got is 12% but they also got 16 to 18% are these both ok?

Those should all work fine. The stuff I got is 31.45% which takes a lot less at a time.
Just note that the 31.45% stuff tends to fume :crazy: while the lower concentrations do not. That is their primary advantage, assuming you can get the lower concentration for a proportionately lower price.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.