Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solid or Mesh covers?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solid or Mesh covers?

[Split by moderator - Please post your questions in your own thread. - Thanks, jblizzle]

Anyone have any updates about the best type of pool cover to get? Not sure if I want to get the solid type of covers or the newer mesh covers that keep out all the light. Would appreciate any info about the subject. Also what are good brands. So far looking at Looploc, Merlin and Meyco. Have a 18 x 36 pool with a left step, decking is pavers. I read somewhere that instead of using the expensive masonry anchor collars I can use a piece of 3/4" pipe. Anybody ever try this?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solid or Mesh covers?

I have a looploc cover on my in-ground 18x36 and I have been pretty pleased with the cover. It is a mesh cover but I am not sure if it is standard mesh or a micro mesh that I have seen mentioned. The covered appears solid but if you lay on the cover and press your face into it you can seen in to the pool. I like the cover because it's safe, keeps all but the finest dirt out of the pool and allows water to go through the cover. It also seems to keep a majority of the light out of the pool. Mine is anchored into my concrete deck. I don't see how you would anchor it using 3/4" pipe unless you drove the pipes into the ground. Not sure how that would work.....seems like they would work their way loose.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

They each have their pros and cons. When I had a solid cover, the pool opened clean each spring. Rebalancing was a breeze, and chemicals were minimal. But, water needs to be drained off the cover before it is removed, and the covers are heavy -- need at least 2 strong people to remove it. Mesh cover is easy to put on and take off, my son and I can do it alone, so that means only 1 strong person plus a willing helper can do it. But the water on opening is awful. Blackish green water is the norm around here. Usually takes me 2 weeks and a lot of shocking and chemicals to get it balanced. Although this year took over a month. I am thinking about going back to solid this year.
    35,000 gallons - inground vinyl liner -- sand filter - 1 HP, 50.76 GPM - Aqua Rite T-Cell 15 SWG - Dolphin Apollo Plus - TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I personally like the solid for many reasons mentioned by the previous poster. The solid cover keeps ALL leaves and dirt out so you have a faster, smoother, less expensive opening. By keeping the leaves scooped off the cover throughout the closed season, all you need to do at opening is remove the standing water (electric pump is my choice) and remove the cover. Yes the solid covers are heavy however they keep the water clean and clear!! It will look the same as when you covered it
    30' Above Ground 18,000 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5 hp Jacuzzi Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Mine is solid but has a mesh square in the enter, so a bit of both I think with any safety cover the point of the construction of it is securing it with the anchors, though. If you're paying for a good cover instead of tarping, I suspect you would not want to forego the anchors.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

6. Back To Top    #6

How is your water on opening with the mixed cover? I've wondered about those, and how much the mesh panel(s) contribute to green water on opening. Is it possible those covers are the best of both worlds?
    35,000 gallons - inground vinyl liner -- sand filter - 1 HP, 50.76 GPM - Aqua Rite T-Cell 15 SWG - Dolphin Apollo Plus - TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Swampwoman
    Mine is solid but has a mesh square in the enter, so a bit of both I think with any safety cover the point of the construction of it is securing it with the anchors, though. If you're paying for a good cover instead of tarping, I suspect you would not want to forego the anchors.
    I've seen the hybrids recommended a lot. They the job of the solid, with the benefits of a mesh.

I currently own the Loop-Loc II mesh cover (tighter weave) and i've been pleased with it. Still takes two people to get it on and off, but once it's folded up, I can pretty much move it where I need to myself.
    As long as your pool is balanced well, you shouldn't have too much trouble with any of them. It just depends on how much you want to deal with when opening.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Lee, I don't truly know yet because we just bought the house last year, and had discovered that the cover was put on AFTER a zillion leaves etc. completely polluted the pool (foreclosure -- we also found a leaf rake, etc. IN the pool, so you can kind of guess the folks were struggling and walked away without closing).

I'll let you know come spring! The previous owners (before foreclosed owners) however had told us that it was usually mucky looking each spring but cleaned up quick on opening. They also told me that some years they actually just covered it but left it "open" as in the filter and pump despite winter/snow because the pump and filter are in a heated pool house (and they kept it warm because their son lived in there.) They said that by doing that it made opening really easy Don't know that I'd be brave enough to try that, or have any burning desire to use that much extra energy! Will be in a better position to judge next year. Perhaps the extra energy cost is offset by the opening/closing cost, since we're not inclined to do that part ourselves.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

9. Back To Top    #9

I have become a mesh person. I do have some sediment in the spring when I open. It takes a couple of vacuums to get it gone, but I am not out in the winter worrying about water or snow. No worrys about the weight on the pool either. Maybe with an IG pool I would feel differently????
    28 foot doughboy AGP, dug out to 5 foot, about 18,000 gallons
    1 1/2 HP pump and 100 lb sand filter
    South Central Pennsylvania

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks Swampwoman. Sounds like you had a lot of work to do when you moved! I'll stick with my mesh this year, and hope I have a smoother opening next year than I had this year.

11. Back To Top    #11

I have ordered a solid cover with a mesh drain panel. Next year I will be able to offer a real review. I based my decision to go this route based on my hectic schedule and inability to monitor a cover pump etc as often as I would like. My pool does have an overflow to deal with the excessive rains, but I'm concerned how about what may come of this overflow during hard freezing months. It is just tapped into the back of one skimmer.
    18x36 Vinyl IG ~27,000 gal, Intelliflo VF Pump, 300# Sand Filter, Polaris 280 w/Pentair Booster Pump, Pentair EasyTouch w/ IC40 SWCG
    TF100 Test Kit
    SpeedStir

12. Back To Top    #12

I drain down about 16" with my mesh cover. This year we had a mild winter and heavy rains, so a couple of times before the pool froze, we set up a hose siphon to keep the water low enough to accommodate the spring melt and rain. That worked well for me. My son provides the muscle and mechanical work I need around the pool, and he's willing but not eager to go back to a solid cover, partly because of the pumping and monitoring that I would need to do all winter. Feedback on the hybrid and how my pool opens next spring now that I'm using TFP methods will help me decide if I should switch or not. Thanks!