Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cover options for partial Deck surround

1. Back To Top    #1

Cover options for partial Deck surround

Tried a search but no results.
    I replaced my old deck ,that butted up to the end of the pool, with a new deck that surrounds 80% of an above ground 18x 33 oval pool. With the old deck , I just stuffed the cover between the deck and the pool and ran the cable to secure the cover. This is not an option this year, beacause building codes required a different framing system for the deck that would make it impossible to repeat the old process. I am thinking about water bags for the deck top and weightshanging from the grommets for the rest of the pool that has no deck surround. I am hoping others with the same setup can tell me what has worked for their pool. Thanks for you're help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cover options for partial Deck surround

Quote Originally Posted by roblectric
    I replaced my old deck ,that butted up to the end of the pool, with a new deck that surrounds 80% of an above ground 18x 33 oval pool. With the old deck , I just stuffed the cover between the deck and the pool and ran the cable to secure the cover. This is not an option this year, beacause building codes required a different framing system for the deck that would make it impossible to repeat the old process. I am thinking about water bags for the deck top and weightshanging from the grommets for the rest of the pool that has no deck surround. I am hoping others with the same setup can tell me what has worked for their pool. Thanks for you're help.

I have a 18x33 pool with full deck and got this cover and loved it. They also can make it for partial decks
    http://www.arcticbluecovers.com/product ... /236/ci/70

It covers like a safety cover but also has a screen built in to filter water through.

3. Back To Top    #3

I assume you're asking about a winter cover. I use bleach jugs filled with pool water hung from the grommets. There is just enough room between the pool and deck to slip the cover between.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I assume you're asking about a winter cover. I use bleach jugs filled with pool water hung from the grommets. There is just enough room between the pool and deck to slip the cover between.
    2X8 joists and a tight fit of the decking make this an impossible task.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Durf
    Quote Originally Posted by roblectric

I have a 18x33 pool with full deck and got this cover and loved it. They also can make it for partial decks
    http://www.arcticbluecovers.com/product ... /236/ci/70

It covers like a safety cover but also has a screen built in to filter water through.
    I will look into this. I like the idea of no water to pump off. Thanks for the info.

6. Back To Top    #6

anyone have a picture of what this would look like when covered? my three day treck to covering the pool ends today, hopefully with some success...attached is what mine looks like before cover..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15K AG, w. Chlorease SWG; 150 sqft cartridge (ClearwaterII); Two Speed pump, seems to only work on one speed; less than 10 yrs old; partially decked.

7. Back To Top    #7

I've got the same cover roblectric. Love it. Was more money than the standard winter covers but well worth it.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk
    I've got the same cover roblectric. Love it. Was more money than the standard winter covers but well worth it.
    can you show me a pic of what it looks like ? the manuf. site has nothing about using w. a half/deck
    15K AG, w. Chlorease SWG; 150 sqft cartridge (ClearwaterII); Two Speed pump, seems to only work on one speed; less than 10 yrs old; partially decked.

9. Back To Top    #9

My cover goes between my deck and pool. For your deck you would have to anchor it to the deck itself with eye bolts or regular safety cover pop up anchors like used on an inground pool. Pretty sure that would work. Maybe somebody else would have some ideas. Their website says can be used with full or partial deck.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk
    My cover goes between my deck and pool. For your deck you would have to anchor it to the deck itself with eye bolts or regular safety cover pop up anchors like used on an inground pool. Pretty sure that would work. Maybe somebody else would have some ideas. Their website says can be used with full or partial deck.
    thanks - i swear owning an AGP is more work than I would have liked. I didn't get to use it this season, so perhaps next year my opinion will change.

i emailed that co. to see what they recco.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

I would use water bags on the area where the deck is at and then I would use the standard wire and winch and when you get to the deck area since you can't go underneath install heavy duty eye bolts into the deck to attach the wire to. I've tried that eliminator pool cover. It's okay, its expensive and not very good quality. Once the cover wore out it started to stretch out and no longer stayed tight like a drum. The problem with the eliminator pool cover (at least the one I got) is that it's clearly home made. It's just a standard 10 year above ground cover that has been cut down the center and re sewn with a strip of mesh material down the center. The way you hold the cover down is by using standard rubber bungie cords that get looped through conduit clamps. The only other thing they do is provide you with foam to protect cover from the support pillars (because it's just a regular AG cover not a looploc or something durable) and they also installed some more grommets on the cover as well. maybe other people have had better luck, but for how much the cover costs it didn't last long.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

12. Back To Top    #12

Hello, I have a 24' round pool with an attached deck at one end. Can you tell me how much the pool cover you purchased from ArticBlue cost you?

13. Back To Top    #13
    oops answered old post and can't delete.
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.