Installed a Pentair VF punp and using twice the electricity

Aug 11, 2012
Any advice please-- I have just fitted a Pentair VF pool pump , programed the device with my pool information,, ie 15000 gallons, 2 turnovers , 12 hrs days. The pool pump then starts buy the readout says the pump is taking 2200 watts to achieve the above. That is twice the power my 1.5 hp old style pump was using.
Here is my details, 15 k gallons pool size, the speed is 3400rpm , its 41gpm and takes 2200watts , twice my 1.5 hp old pump.

I have taken the filter out and wattage use goes from 2200watts to 1200 watts, power washed the filter and now running at 1300 watts, a vast improvement, but still using 30% more electric than my old pump. Checked all the valves and they appear ok.. The pump is running at 2900 rpm . I was expecting the pump to run at approx 1000rpm.

anyone knows what im doing wrong?

Many thanks
steve

Re: Installed a Pentair VF punp and using twice the electric

Yeah, I run mine for 1 turnover over 10 hours per day, mostly at night to take advantage of "off peak" rates. Is that the same amount of time you ran your old pump? The main benefit of such a pump is that it can go really low to move the same amount of water necessary for filtering with considerably lower rate of flow and electricity. What is your flow rate when you set it manually for 1000rpm?

If you really think you need 2 turnovers, why not run it 24 hours? You would get a much lower flow rate and use less electricity than running 2 turnovers in 12 hours.

Many thanks for your quick responses .
My pool is a vacation home in Florida, I am from the UK. My pool guy says too turn the pool over twice , because the amount it gets used.
Do not want to run for 24hrs because I have a pool heater, and only want to run this for 12 hrs.
Will try some experiments today, to see if I can get the wattage down

Do you have any way to know that the flow rate was with your old pump? It could be that you were only getting one turnover in 12 hours with the old one.

stephen160 said:
Any advice please-- I have just fitted a Pentair VF pool pump , programed the device with my pool information,, ie 15000 gallons, 2 turnovers , 12 hrs days. The pool pump then starts buy the readout says the pump is taking 2200 watts to achieve the above. That is twice the power my 1.5 hp old style pump was using.
Here is my details, 15 k gallons pool size, the speed is 3400rpm , its 41gpm and takes 2200watts , twice my 1.5 hp old pump.

I have taken the filter out and wattage use goes from 2200watts to 1200 watts, power washed the filter and now running at 1300 watts, a vast improvement, but still using 30% more electric than my old pump. Checked all the valves and they appear ok.. The pump is running at 2900 rpm . I was expecting the pump to run at approx 1000rpm.

Your plumbing is still very restrictive. Can you describe your setup in more detail? Specifically, the following:

Suction pipe diameter (e.g. 1.5", 2", 2.5")
Average length of suction pipes
Number of individual suction pipes from the pool/spa to the equipment
Number and type of suction side valves
Height of pump relative to the water level
Pipe size between pump and filter (e.g. 1.5", 2", 2.5")
Filter type, size and multi-port valve size
Filter PSI reading at the desired valve settings and pump's highest speed setting
Height of pressure gauge relative to the pump center line
Heater - yes or no
Number and type of return side valves
Return pipe diameter (e.g. 1.5", 2", 2.5")
Average length of return pipes
Number of individual return pipes from the equipment to the pool/spa
Return eyeball inner diameter (e.g. 1", 3/4", 1/2")
Number of return eyeballs (usually more than the number of pipes)

Also, what was the make/model of your old pump? I suspect it was using more energy than you think.

No idea what the flow rate was on the old pump.
I will try and get the details about the pool from my pool guy on tuesday.
The pump i had was a Marathon 1081 1.5 hp 3400rpm

steve

i have told the pump my pool is 18000 gallons, selected 1 turnover, the speed is 2000rpm and the wattage is 600 watts.(now just over 1 turn over per day) Do the experts think this may keep my pool clean?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

It is incredibly rare that a residential pool needs even one turnover per day, there is absolutely no point in setting it up for two turnovers per day. And given everything else you said, there is no possibility that your old pump was doing anything close to two turnovers per day.

The key to saving money with a variable speed pump is to turn down the speed. Using the mode you appear to be using that is the same thing as lowering the number of turnovers per day.

JasonLion said:
It is incredibly rare that a residential pool needs even one turnover per day, there is absolutely no point in setting it up for two turnovers per day. And given everything else you said, there is not possibility that your old pump was doing anything close to two turnovers per day.

The key to saving money with a variable speed pump is to turn down the speed. Using the mode you appear to be using that is the same thing as lowering the number of turnovers per day.

Just to add to what Jason mentioned...pool water chemistry is far more importatant to keeping a clear pool vs turning the water more than one turn. It's not the additional filtration that keeps the water clear or trouble free, rather adequate and consistent FC levels keep organics from growing in your water, hence creatining cloudiness or murkiness.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.