Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installed a Pentair VF punp and using twice the electricity

1. Back To Top    #1

Installed a Pentair VF punp and using twice the electricity

Any advice please-- I have just fitted a Pentair VF pool pump , programed the device with my pool information,, ie 15000 gallons, 2 turnovers , 12 hrs days. The pool pump then starts buy the readout says the pump is taking 2200 watts to achieve the above. That is twice the power my 1.5 hp old style pump was using.
    Here is my details, 15 k gallons pool size, the speed is 3400rpm , its 41gpm and takes 2200watts , twice my 1.5 hp old pump.

I have taken the filter out and wattage use goes from 2200watts to 1200 watts, power washed the filter and now running at 1300 watts, a vast improvement, but still using 30% more electric than my old pump. Checked all the valves and they appear ok.. The pump is running at 2900 rpm . I was expecting the pump to run at approx 1000rpm.

anyone knows what im doing wrong?

Many thanks
    steve

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Installed a Pentair VF punp and using twice the electric

Most people can get by just fine with just a single turnover per day, unless you have something unusual.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, I run mine for 1 turnover over 10 hours per day, mostly at night to take advantage of "off peak" rates. Is that the same amount of time you ran your old pump? The main benefit of such a pump is that it can go really low to move the same amount of water necessary for filtering with considerably lower rate of flow and electricity. What is your flow rate when you set it manually for 1000rpm?
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

If you really think you need 2 turnovers, why not run it 24 hours? You would get a much lower flow rate and use less electricity than running 2 turnovers in 12 hours.
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Many thanks for your quick responses .
    My pool is a vacation home in Florida, I am from the UK. My pool guy says too turn the pool over twice , because the amount it gets used.
    Do not want to run for 24hrs because I have a pool heater, and only want to run this for 12 hrs.
    Will try some experiments today, to see if I can get the wattage down

6. Back To Top    #6

Two turns are a bit excessive. You should ensure you have enough FC to deal with bather load
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

Do you have any way to know that the flow rate was with your old pump? It could be that you were only getting one turnover in 12 hours with the old one.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by stephen160
    Any advice please-- I have just fitted a Pentair VF pool pump , programed the device with my pool information,, ie 15000 gallons, 2 turnovers , 12 hrs days. The pool pump then starts buy the readout says the pump is taking 2200 watts to achieve the above. That is twice the power my 1.5 hp old style pump was using.
    Here is my details, 15 k gallons pool size, the speed is 3400rpm , its 41gpm and takes 2200watts , twice my 1.5 hp old pump.

I have taken the filter out and wattage use goes from 2200watts to 1200 watts, power washed the filter and now running at 1300 watts, a vast improvement, but still using 30% more electric than my old pump. Checked all the valves and they appear ok.. The pump is running at 2900 rpm . I was expecting the pump to run at approx 1000rpm.
    Your plumbing is still very restrictive. Can you describe your setup in more detail? Specifically, the following:

Suction pipe diameter (e.g. 1.5", 2", 2.5")
    Average length of suction pipes
    Number of individual suction pipes from the pool/spa to the equipment
    Number and type of suction side valves
    Height of pump relative to the water level
    Pipe size between pump and filter (e.g. 1.5", 2", 2.5")
    Filter type, size and multi-port valve size
    Filter PSI reading at the desired valve settings and pump's highest speed setting
    Height of pressure gauge relative to the pump center line
    Heater - yes or no
    Number and type of return side valves
    Return pipe diameter (e.g. 1.5", 2", 2.5")
    Average length of return pipes
    Number of individual return pipes from the equipment to the pool/spa
    Return eyeball inner diameter (e.g. 1", 3/4", 1/2")
    Number of return eyeballs (usually more than the number of pipes)

Also, what was the make/model of your old pump? I suspect it was using more energy than you think.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

No idea what the flow rate was on the old pump.
    I will try and get the details about the pool from my pool guy on tuesday.
    The pump i had was a Marathon 1081 1.5 hp 3400rpm

steve

10. Back To Top    #10

i have told the pump my pool is 18000 gallons, selected 1 turnover, the speed is 2000rpm and the wattage is 600 watts.(now just over 1 turn over per day) Do the experts think this may keep my pool clean?

11. Back To Top    #11

You'll have to see, but probably so.

I run my 1.5 HP Superflo single speed about 8-9 hours per day and I have no problems. That gets me about 1-1.5 turnovers per day, and I live in a forest.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

12. Back To Top    #12

It is incredibly rare that a residential pool needs even one turnover per day, there is absolutely no point in setting it up for two turnovers per day. And given everything else you said, there is no possibility that your old pump was doing anything close to two turnovers per day.

The key to saving money with a variable speed pump is to turn down the speed. Using the mode you appear to be using that is the same thing as lowering the number of turnovers per day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    It is incredibly rare that a residential pool needs even one turnover per day, there is absolutely no point in setting it up for two turnovers per day. And given everything else you said, there is not possibility that your old pump was doing anything close to two turnovers per day.

The key to saving money with a variable speed pump is to turn down the speed. Using the mode you appear to be using that is the same thing as lowering the number of turnovers per day.
    Just to add to what Jason mentioned...pool water chemistry is far more importatant to keeping a clear pool vs turning the water more than one turn. It's not the additional filtration that keeps the water clear or trouble free, rather adequate and consistent FC levels keep organics from growing in your water, hence creatining cloudiness or murkiness.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator