Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: $%^&* What the heck did I do now?

1. Back To Top    #1

$%^&* What the heck did I do now?

Had the pool perfect... with one exception. I had no CYA, so I was going through chlorine like crazy.

I finally bite the bullet and do CYA (Powder in side the tube sock method)... I only got the CYA to about 30 and the available (free) chlorine is has stabilized wonderfully... I check it each day, just to be sure.

However, the darn pool has a "haze" or a "cloud" to it that is just horrible. I can barely see the drain at the bottom of the pool. And it has a "marine-green" color...

Everything else, TA, TC, ph, etc. are all smack-on the mid-point of perfect... I'm anal like that. I realize that CYA is low @ 30 (if that, it may be closer to 25)... but would that make for the cloudiness???

Thanks... sorry to keep asking all these newbie questions, but this is so new to me...

Pete
    16000 Gal. Kidney / Gunite / SE Florida / Taylor K2006 / Stenner
    Jandy CS100 / Sta-Rite U3 Skimmer / Pentair Great White / Single Floor Drain / Single Return / Hayward SP2300VSP
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm still learning and I know nothing!.. I'm loving the Stenner!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: $%^&* What the heck did I do now?

We need to see a full set of test results to include:

FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    CYA
    CH
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by FixItPete
    Had the pool perfect... with one exception. I had no CYA, so I was going through chlorine like crazy.

I finally bite the bullet and do CYA (Powder in side the tube sock method)... I only got the CYA to about 30 and the available (free) chlorine is has stabilized wonderfully... I check it each day, just to be sure.

However, the darn pool has a "haze" or a "cloud" to it that is just horrible. I can barely see the drain at the bottom of the pool. And it has a "marine-green" color...

Everything else, TA, TC, ph, etc. are all smack-on the mid-point of perfect... I'm anal like that. I realize that CYA is low @ 30 (if that, it may be closer to 25)... but would that make for the cloudiness???

Thanks... sorry to keep asking all these newbie questions, but this is so new to me...

Pete
    Did you raise the FC to compensate for the added CYA?

Try the overnight loss test and see if you need the shock process or not. How To . . . . .
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have all the #s at the house...

However, from memory:

FC: 9 (I increased it when I added the CYA)
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.4-7.5
    TA: midpoint
    CYA: 25-30
    CH: midpoint

(midpoint means that when I tested it, and looked up my # on the chart I was just about the middle or the "range" that it indicated it should be at)
    Jandy CS100 / Sta-Rite U3 Skimmer / Pentair Great White / Single Floor Drain / Single Return / Hayward SP2300VSP

5. Back To Top    #5

A cloudy pool often means a pool with algae. You will likely need to shock. I would bump my chlorine to shock level at dark tonight and do an overnight chlorine test. If you maintain chlorine, great... If you lost more than 1, you've got a jump start on solving the problem before it got any worse.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

6. Back To Top    #6

FC is very high, and very stable... so I find it hard to believe that we're dealing with algae.
    I just tested everything again... and everything is solid... smack-on the mid-points shown on the "best" ranges for my Taylor kit. We're talking everything! FC, TA, ph, CYA, TC, Calcium, EVERYTHING... this has me baffled.

Now, I do have ONE thing that I don't get.

I brushed the pool late yesterday... and there was a decent amount of what I call "tan powder" -- whatever you call that "sandy" looking **** that you brush toward the drain... anyway... normally, if I brush again the next day... there is nothing much to speak of to brush. Well... today, there is more. Not as much, but still, it's there.

Now, I'm smart enough to know that this must be some kind of dead something, no?

Teach me... I need to learn!

7. Back To Top    #7

TA: midpoint
    CH: midpoint
    These test results do us no good. We need numbers to help you.

What Taylor kit do you have?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Teach me... I need to learn!
    The dead stuff is VERY likely dead algae. Start your education up in pool school but keep in mind that your test results don't give us the picture we need to help you.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

How old is your pool? Plaster dust? (..just a thought. I'm a newbie too.)

Good luck!
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

10. Back To Top    #10

FC: 6 (it was 9 on the 11th of August)
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.4
    TA: 70
    CYA: 25-30
    CH: 160

And yet again, today, there is a lot of that tan powder on the bottom of the pool... not sure if it's dead algae or what...

Now you have the information. Lets hear it!

Excited to hear back!
    Thanks,
    Pete

11. Back To Top    #11

K2006 / Gunite, done in 2008. 16000 Gal.

12. Back To Top    #12

OK... NOT "new" plaster dust. Your friends here will help you I'm sure. I'm wayyyyyyyyy too new. Good luck!
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

13. Back To Top    #13

I would recommend doing a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test(OCLT) to determine if the "powder" is cause by something organic (algae). I would bring your FC level up to your shock level to do this.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

14. Back To Top    #14

I have been monitoring the FC daily -- both AM and PM. In a 24 hour period we are losing between .75 and 1.0 PPM of FC.

Thoughts?

15. Back To Top    #15

It seems unlikely that you are only loosing 1 ppm of FC per day, especially with your relatively low cya. How much sun does your pool get?

16. Back To Top    #16

The pool gets full sun. I am measuring the FC in the AM and the PM -- on the 11th it was @ 9. On the 9th it was @ 11. Yesterday PM it was at 6 (14th)...

Before I had any CYA it would drop much much much faster... I had 0 CYA about 12 days ago and added it via the sock method. That is when all this began.

Pool has a CS100 (cartridge filter) -- running around 16-20PSI.

17. Back To Top    #17

How are you chlorinating the pool? Do you manually add chlorine or is there an auto feeder of some sort?
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

18. Back To Top    #18

Manually add liquid (10.25%) from fresh stock.

Update on FC:

@ 5:30PM on 8/14 it was a solid "6".
    @ 9:10AM on 8/15 it was approximately 5.5, maybe 5.25 (still had some pink tint, probably about 1/2 a drop would have turned it clear...)

Does that shed any insight on things?

19. Back To Top    #19

The chlorine loss test is best done at shock levels. The reason (I think) is that 1ppm is a much smaller percentage of the shock value than regular. Also be sure to brush that same day to rid algae of any protective coating so the chlorine can work.

Is the green color gone?
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

20. Back To Top    #20

No, the color is not gone. I wouldn't call it green -- I would call it more like a cloudy aqua-green-marine sort of color. I can tell you that the drain on the bottom is probably 25% visible (with 100% being crystal clear being able to see the drain)...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast