Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: OPPS---FC too high.....

1. Back To Top    #1

OPPS---FC too high.....

Had a bit of a brain fade.... Brought my pool up to ~30ppm FC due to some "dull" water.. Used 6% bleach and all was well. Check next day and it was ~32ppm.. Dummy me, forgot to turn off the SWG and reading ~26ppm this evening. CYA is ~65ppm. I know that below shock level is safe to swim, but, CYA chart say shock is ~26 and the poolcalc says shock is 20ppm. Don't think it will burn off much with tomorrow morning sun, but want to swim with a few friends tomorrow. What would you do???
    Thanks as always!!!!
    16,000 IG, SWG, 175 sq. ft. cartridge, 1.5 hp pump, vinyl, Charlotte NC
    TF-100, Pool School, Pool-Calc

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: OPPS---FC too high.....

Here is another person's experience with sodium thiosulfate (reduces chlorine).

http://www.troublefreepool.com/never...it=thiosulfate

Another option is to...um....okay...uh..... pee in the pool. I have a lot of infant/toddlers in my pool. Despite requiring "swim diapers" and such, they reduce my chlorine levels significantly....
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

LOL..well THAT is an option and will do my best to "encourage" everyone to do the same. Guess I picked the wrong week to stop drinking.. Any other solutions/input???
    16,000 IG, SWG, 175 sq. ft. cartridge, 1.5 hp pump, vinyl, Charlotte NC
    TF-100, Pool School, Pool-Calc

4. Back To Top    #4

Before taking "drastic measures", I would check the chlorine again a few hours after it gets some sun. If you have a cover, leave it off tonight or get up very early and take it off. The chlorine at such high levels will drop a lot faster than at a normal FC. It might only take a few hours of sunlight to knock your number down significantly (at least to below 20, which would be fine for swimming).
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

With CYA about 65, I'd swim when the FC drops below 26

Make sure the SWG is still OFF!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!