New Pool Guy Here... Questions on Heater, Bubbles and Light.

myrddin

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2012
Southern Indiana
New pool owner here... many odd things I need to ask (Odd for me anyways).

1. Hayward H series pool heater... I start it up and after about 30 seconds I get a LO error... I checked the water pressure sensor and it constantly clicks... Could this be bad? And how would i know if I had a real low water pressure situation where the sensor would be working as designed? I was going to test the sensor by pulling the two wires and seeing if the circuit was open or closed with no power but looks like one of the leads may come out if I try to pull the wire off the sensor (unsure) so I left it. Might just replace it and see???

2. I have some bubbles coming out of my returns, usually I know this is a suction side leak, but I don't think so in this case.. the pump basket lid seal is good, the drain plugs seem fine, the unions seem OK... and no water drops near the pump... Now I do see where someone put in the chlorine feeder that they chose not to use unions, and I can rub my finger under the feed side of the chlorinator and I get some drops of water, plus if you move the canister a bit you can see the pipe rotate a tad (is this the problem?) if not all I can think of is to replace all the union seals and chk agn...

3. I have no power to my light, now how the heck do I figure out where it connects to? the pool has a large concrete patio surrounding it, I cant see where the line goes all I know is it has one coming out of the back of the light...

I do have more questions, and a lot to learn... not sure if anyone can help me... but I thought I would try.

Thanks, and God bless....

Re: New Pool Guy Here... Questions on Heater, Bubbles and Li

What's your filter pressure? High pressure will cause low flow just like low pressure will.
Air in the returns will also cause heater problems.

If you have air in the returns, it has to be a suction leak.

Two ways to test the pressure switch. Remove the two leads from the switch and jumper them together or get a ohm meter and tough one lead to each connector and see if you have an open. Jumping the switch out is probably the easiest for many. Jump it out and turn the system on.

Either of those ball valves could leak in air, but I'd make sure it wasn't one or more of the common places before I did a lot to those.

Those screwed fittings on the feeder will allow it to rotate in the piping a bit. That won't cause air in the system.

Behind the light, above the deck there should be a junction box. That's where the light is connected to the power. The power will be fed from a gfci breaker either in a sub-panel or the house panel

Thanks guys, the problem is I was going to jumper the water switch but the one on the bottom is loose and I am afraid it will come out... I may just replace it due to that alone. I guess what I will do for the bubbles, since it seems clear it should be somewhere from the ground to the pump basket is start by replacing the union seals, then replace the Teflon on the drain plugs. I called the past owner he told me where the light cord runs to (junction box by the pool equipment) I will check that out later today... do the lights them selves ever go bad (not bulb but fixture).

So on my list so far:
1. replace the water switch (not sure it is broken, but its in bad shape)
2. Replace the union seals on the suction side of the pump (I think 1 - main drain, 1 - skimmer, one at the pump (3 total). (Note: I did lubricate the union ball valve seals - did not help)
3. Edit: I found the light cord at the junction box, it was a loose connection... so now that's working agn...

Should I replace my ball valves? I could replace the two with a pentair 3 way?

Yes, the fixtures can go bad over time. This usually results in a GFCI event and shutdown of the breaker due to water intrusion. However, this could also include defective thermal protect circuits, corrosion etc. If it's not working after you swap in a new bulb, you likely have a problem with the fixture, requiring a new one. Now that it appears to be working, it would be a good time to make sure the light is protected by a GFCI breaker or in-line module. You can't be too safe in this respect.

Today I replaced the pressure switch on the heater (same problem it will go straight to LO when I turn it on.

I flipped the pump basket lid o ring over and tried that, still has some bubbles coming out of the return.

:(

OK Today I replaced most of the union seals and the pump basket lid seal (even though the other one looked fine). I also added two eyeballs for my returns (they were missing). I started up the pump and no sign of bubbles yet.. only been a short while so lets give it some time... its late so I will chk tomorrow... I was also able to start the heater tonight... its running now, I will let it run all night... bad thing was I am now unable to adjust the temp... it does not seem to respond to the touch... I think usually it will blink to show you the set temp, or if you hold it it will change the temp... it does nothing... So I just orderd a new keyboard... should be here Thur/Fri. I do notice I can smell the chlorine more so with the heater runing, is that normal?

thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.