Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how do you know if chlorine is old?

1. Back To Top    #1

how do you know if chlorine is old?

I am in the process of shocking my pool to get out the algae and bought a whole bunch of liquid chlorine from home depot on Thursday. They keep in outside and it looked kind of old but bought it anyway and the lady said if it doesn't work to bring it back. I have put 8 gallons of it in so far and haven't noticed much difference in the pools appearance.The readings all indicate there is chlorine in there so does this mean the active ingredients are still good? I know I've read on here that liquid chlorine is only good for so long. So how does one know how long? I thought maybe the FC readings wouldn't change if it was no good but I don't know how that works. Anyone know? I have kept my pool at shock levels most of the time except Thursday overnight it got a little too low for a while but brought it back up to proper levels 28 ppm since CYA levels are at 70ppm. How long should it take till I start noticing a change? I'm ready to get in it's soo hot out.
    13500 gallons
    in-gound
    sand filter
    concrete
    age at least 5 years

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how do you know if chlorine is old?

If it is 6% (and it probably is), it is good for almost a year at a temp of 90 degrees (see the thread below).

http://www.troublefreepool.com/does-...%20temperature
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

If you really want to test it, check this out....

http://www.troublefreepool.com/testi...%20of%20bleach
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah I saw that post but it mde my brain hurt. I bought 10% sodium hypo "liquid shock" is what is says on the bottle.
    13500 gallons
    in-gound
    sand filter
    concrete
    age at least 5 years