Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dirt, Dead Algea, or Sand?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dirt, Dead Algea, or Sand?

Hello Everyone,

This is my 2nd season using the (TAYLOR 2006) testing kit and the (BBB) method. I have had nothing but success ever since thanks to everyone here. The reason why I am here today is within the last few weeks we have had countless rain storms in our area and I discovered what appears to be dirt in the bottom of my pool. Hopefully, someone can identify what it is exactly with the pictures provided?

I have been on a weekly schedule with brushing and vacuuuuming since owning my pool until last week when I discovered the dirt. Since then, I have been brushing and vacuuuuming the pool daily with even using a sock wrapped around the skimmer basket to catch the fine particles the filter misses. After every session, I drain and carefully clean my cartridge filter before reinstalling and starting over the following day when the nightmare reappears. I am loosing my mind and a lot of water here!!!

FC=5
    PH=7.6
    TA=80
    CH=200
    CYA=30

These are my current water readings and my numbers usually stay around the same every evening when tested. Any suggestions are appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12,000 gallon 15'-30'AGP (Cartridge Filter) SPECK 1.5 hp (Pump) TAYLOR 2006 (Test Kit)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dirt, Dead Algea, or Sand?

Spotless after vacuuming!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12,000 gallon 15'-30'AGP (Cartridge Filter) SPECK 1.5 hp (Pump) TAYLOR 2006 (Test Kit)

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you get hold of some of it? Algae feels slimy and dirt/sand feel gritty.

What is the CC test result?

I suggest you go ahead and raise the pool to shock level tonight and do the OCLT to determine if it is organic.

If it is indeed organic, you will have a head start on the shock process. Otherwise, no harm done.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Butterfly,

Tonight's readings,

FC=6
    CC=0
    PH=7.6
    TA=80
    CH=200
    CYA=30

I decided not bring the pool up to shock level tonight until I preform the OCLT. I don't want to waste any bleach if I don't have to. I will update you first thing tomorrow morning with the new test readings and I guess we will go from there. I will also dive in and try to swipe a sample in my hand to feel the texture.

Thanks!

5. Back To Top    #5

Early morning reading,

FC=5.5
    CC=0
    PH=7.6
    TA=80
    CH=200
    CYA=30

Once the sun comes up and I can see the bottom of the pool I will jump in to give you a description of the texture.