Left several trichor pucks in a floater and shocked the pool before I left on a family vacation (to Hawaii!) but came back to this:
I plan on shocking with 2 lbs of calcium hypochlorite 73% (Leslies Power power plus) that I have on hand and adding a box of borate. There were a moderate amount of leaves in the pool that I cleaned up and some algae starting to become visible on the far end of the pool where it always shows if and when the FC gets unacceptably low (before I found the this website). Now that I'm home I will stop with the pucks and go back to using liquid bleach.
All in all not quite a bad as I expected.