Automatic Pool Cleaner Keeps Getting Stuck

Jul 21, 2012
Hey all,

I recent had a pool installed, and I went with an automatic pool cleaner over popups. I have owned several houses with pools and have used both options, and I've found that an automatic pool cleaner works almost just as well as popups (save the steps), so I went with the economic approach. My problem is that with the new drain systems, my pool cleaner is ALWAYS getting stuck on them and not doing its job.

The cleaner runs into the protuberant drain covers and just sits there. Occasionally it frees itself, but in the 8 hours I have the pump timed to run, at least 75% of its time is stuck on one of the drain covers.

Is there something I can do to prevent this from happening? Maybe some sort of an attachment to the drain or the cleaner which will help it navigate around them? Maybe a new drain cover?

If it helps, the drain covers and cleaner are both Haywards. The cleaner is the Navigator series.

I have the same problem! Except mine runs while I'm at work everyday. Every night I come home, it wedged itself in the stairs in the deep end of my pool. Totally frustrating. I can't think of anything easily removable that I can build or put around the stairs? Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.