Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Automatic Pool Cleaner Keeps Getting Stuck

Automatic Pool Cleaner Keeps Getting Stuck

Hey all,

I recent had a pool installed, and I went with an automatic pool cleaner over popups. I have owned several houses with pools and have used both options, and I've found that an automatic pool cleaner works almost just as well as popups (save the steps), so I went with the economic approach. My problem is that with the new drain systems, my pool cleaner is ALWAYS getting stuck on them and not doing its job.

The cleaner runs into the protuberant drain covers and just sits there. Occasionally it frees itself, but in the 8 hours I have the pump timed to run, at least 75% of its time is stuck on one of the drain covers.

Is there something I can do to prevent this from happening? Maybe some sort of an attachment to the drain or the cleaner which will help it navigate around them? Maybe a new drain cover?

If it helps, the drain covers and cleaner are both Haywards. The cleaner is the Navigator series.

Re: Automatic Pool Cleaner Keeps Getting Stuck

I have the same problem! Except mine runs while I'm at work everyday. Every night I come home, it wedged itself in the stairs in the deep end of my pool. Totally frustrating. I can't think of anything easily removable that I can build or put around the stairs? Good luck
    2004 - 36'x18' 26000 Gallons - IG-vinyl, Hayward 244t sand filter=300lbs, Jandy HP plus 1-1/2hp pump, Jandy LX-400L heater, Jandy AquaPure1400 Chlorine Generator (salt), Polaris 480 robot

Re: Automatic Pool Cleaner Keeps Getting Stuck

No idea if they work: Smart Ring Drain cover - http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/p ... CFMQgwgwAA
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump