Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shock or not to shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

Shock or not to shock?

Been DIY for 2 months now. Pool has been clear and trouble free the entire time. Have only had to add about 16 oz of bleach a day and about 8 oz. of MA a day. All chemicals have been in range (usually). Right now everything is "perfect" except FC at 2.5. CC = 0, CYA = 45-50, pH = 7.6-7.7, TA = 90

I noticed today green growing on the white plastic ports. Should I just bring FC back up to 5, or should I shock to 20?
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48” PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shock or not to shock?

If you see algae, then the shock process it's usually a good idea.

Did the FC drop a few times ? Or maybe the circulation is bad where the algae is showing up?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If I saw green in my pool I would raise it up to shock level and do an overnight test just to be safe. I keep my CYA at about 55 and don't like to see my FC drop below 4ppm.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll shock. I brought it to 5.0 because I don't have enough bleach right now. Drops about 1.0 each night, I may have missed adding Clorox yesterday, so it got below 4.0. I'll do a search for the overnight test.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't forget to brush that green away. Algae can grow a slime coat, sort of like a scab, that needs to be brushed away so the bleach can penetrate and kill it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Just brushed, looks like I need a new brush... all kinds of white hairy things floating now. Any "best" recommended brands/types?

Will check FC in about an hour, hopefully two 182 oz will be enough (what PC said to add). You're supposed to keep it at 20 until it goes down less than 1 overnight? That seems odd if you want it back to 5. Do you just quit adding until it hits 5? (like 15 days)?
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

7. Back To Top    #7

FC will usually deplete by half on a nice sunny day, sometimes more, sometimes less. The higher your FC concentration, the higher the burn rate.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Any brush will do... I think they are almost all the same no matter where you get them. I would check prices in the area for the best deal. I was going to suggest you might find a sale being it's the end of the season for many... but I see now you're in Texas, so not likely.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

9. Back To Top    #9

All is well... with CYA of 45 I shocked to 18 yesterday, waited 3 hours and was at 17, so I left it there. 12 hours later (7:30 AM) it was at 16. 10 hrs later (now) it's at 14.5. 100 degrees yesterday and today. pH was high this AM, so I added 32 oz. MA to bring it to 7.6. Crystal clear, no signs of growth. I'll make sure FC doesn't go below 4. Thinking of adding a few pounds of borates.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

10. Back To Top    #10

FC levels from 18 shock, 24 hour intervals: (84 degree pool, 100 degree days, mostly shade)

18-14.5-12.5-11-10-8.5-7.5

Will be 1 week tomorrow and haven't had to add a drop of Clorox! Should be close to the CYA high end by tomorrow. Trying to decide whether a "Liquidator" is worth the money. Can buy about 70 jugs of Clorox for the cost of the unit (2-3 years worth!)... I'm lazy, but it seems the time messing with the machine and potential leaks, may not justify the 5 minutes per day adding a qt. of Clorox.

Adding Borates this weekend (if my test strips come in)... I figure it's probably a good idea to test 1st before starting to add (since I recently moved in and have no clue what may be in the water).
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

11. Back To Top    #11

Tcat,

If I have understood your posts correctly, it sounds like you have brought your pool up to shock level, tested to make sure it was there and just let it slowly drop on it's own.
    You need to be sure and pass the three criteria as follows; passing an OCLT of less than 1PPM, CC less than 0.5 (which it looks like you are OK here, but this can go up while shocking), and that your water is clear.
    All while keeping FC at shock level until you pass the above 3 criteria.

From what you have posted, it doesn't look like you have maintained your FC shock level consistently until you have met all 3 of the above criteria, which are outlined in pool school.

I'd just hate for you to see it come back after you have done all the work of starting it.
    It sounds like you have started out correctly, just keep up with the FC, hang in there, read up on the shock process and keep on it, you'll be rewarded in the end.

Also, you can't reliably read pH above an FC level of 10ppm, so just set your pH target to 7.0/7.2 at the start and then just leave it alone until you're done.

Lastly, you did say in your 1st post that you add M.A. daily, why is that? Does your pH keep drifting upwards?

Remember, the MOST IMPORTANT THING is to just keep adding bleach and keep your FC levels up slightly above shock level, never letting it dip below. JUST IGNORE the other things until the shocking process is complete and all criteria have been met. Then you can adjust them at that point.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for the great response. I just wasn't sure about how long to maintain the shock level. It was 18, drifted to 17. I didn't know I should have brought it back to 18. Since it didn't drop more than 1 overnight, I assumed I was OK. CC=0 all week. I "thought" I passed all 3 tests.

Yes, my pH seems to drift up. Either that or is was way above 8.2 and I just kept adding daily until it finally looked like 7.6.

From what I've read, FC dropping 2.0 per day is about normal? Mine drops between 1 and 2 (closer to 1). My pool has stayed very clear through the whole process. I only shocked because I saw some green on the white plastic fittings. I brushed and nothing was coming off walls.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB