Solar cover AG pool question

May 1, 2012
Louisville, KY
It's been so hot this summer we haven't needed to use our solar cover (this is our first summer with pool).

Silly question, but does the cover draw in heat from the sun & then retain it, as in should we put it on this morning to get sun all day and take it off right before swimming at 5 pm?

Or do you leave it off the pool on a sunny day, let the pool grab the sun, then throw the blanket on it at night to retain the day's heat?

BTW, we have had a sparkling pool all summer, thanks to your tips.
This morning we have a crystal clear cool 78 degrees, and the following stats:

FC: 5
CC: 0
Ph: 7.6
CYA: 45
TA: 110 (working it down from a high of 140 during borates addition)
Borates: 50

:-D

The most important time to have the solar cover on is at night. The cover eliminates most of the evaporation that occurs, which also rapidly cools the pool.

During the day it is a little less obvious. I usually take my cover off if it is sunny, not too much wind, and the air temperature is 5 degrees higher then my pool. Some covers are more opaque then others, so leaving those off when the sun is out can help heat the pool more.

We have a clear cover and tend to leave it on when we aren't swimming in the fall because it helps to keep the leaves out of the pool and we feel like it still allows the pool some heat from the sun. I think if we had a blue one we would tend to roll it up during the day and put it back on the pool at night... allowing it the sunlight during the day.

Ours was around 78 today with the cool nights we've had recently. We had a pool party planned today ... Brrr. It was swimmable, but barely for me. Hoping we have a little warmer weather again before fall sets in so we can swim a few more times. I'm not ready to cover it and put it away for next year! :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.