Pentair MiniMax CH 200

Flawed

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
Pentair MiniMax CH 200

There was an ad on CL. Make offer/trade. PO says it's been garage kept for a year. He unhooked from his pool last year and never hooked it back up. It worked when he removed it.

It's an hour drive to go look at it.

I offered $40.00, he said come get it.

Opinions??

I guess for $40 and two hours of your time it's probably worth it. You won't know till you hook it up if it's operational or not. Just open the front cover up and make sure it's not rusted out or shows signs of any leaks it may have had when it was used.

ps0303 said:
I guess for $40 and two hours of your time it's probably worth it. You won't know till you hook it up if it's operational or not. Just open the front cover up and make sure it's not rusted out or shows signs of any leaks it may have had when it was used.

yeahhhhh it looked good with the covers off, so i bought it. Brought it home, set some temporary pavers down. pullled the top off, covers off, etc. shop vac'd it out. Not as bad as I would have thought. It may fire.

I have some ??
1. In pic #3 (heater_0003) there's this blue stuff on the copper. Thats not a leak, right? Thats just from condensation?? It's not thick by any means, (no blockage) just a light covering.

2. In pic #5 (heater_0005). Thats my main 1/4" line coming up from the ground to the regulator.(500 gal propane tank.) The 1/2" going out the top of the regulator goes under the house to the water heater and the furnace. My question is: will the propane company T off of that regulator, (the 1/2" side) or install a whole separate regulator?

3. What do you think?? worth $40 bucks, or not?? Hook it up or not??

Pics?? Of course we have Pics!!

Attachments

• Heater_0003.JPG
    Heater_0003.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 69
  • Heater_0002.JPG
    Heater_0002.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Heater_0001.JPG
    Heater_0001.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 69
oops - forgot a question. I cant move the control knob for the pilot. It's in the 'pilot' position, but won't turn to the 'on' or the 'off' position. Does it need gas to move it?? or should I be able to move it now?

Qwaxalot said:
Wait, wait, wait!!. Is that a propane heater? If it isn't you'll have to convert it.

Don't hook it up until you know for sure!!
uhhhh pic #4 (heater_0004)
yeah, says propane. LP. in a couple places. I have a NAT gas heater too, (came with the tub) about twenty feet away. couldnt use it.

and "I" aint hookin nothing up. I'm calling the propane company. This living/breathing thing is pretty cool. Just Sayin......

Flawed said:
Qwaxalot said:
Wait, wait, wait!!. Is that a propane heater? If it isn't you'll have to convert it.

Don't hook it up until you know for sure!!
uhhhh pic #4 (heater_0004)
yeah, says propane. LP. in a couple places. I have a NAT gas heater too, (came with the tub) about twenty feet away. couldnt use it.

and "I" aint hookin nothing up. I'm calling the propane company. This living/breathing thing is pretty cool. Just Sayin......

Sorry, I missed that in pix 4. Just freaked a bit. Glad you're having it hooked up by the propane company, they'll be able to verify that you have enough gas pressure to run it too. :cheers:

I do agree living, breathing, not blown up...pretty cool. :wave:

Qwaxalot said:
they'll be able to verify that you have enough gas pressure to run it too.

Crud. Not enough pressure?? hadn't heard that one....

okay - I've re-read the installation manual. I have "two stage" regulation. According to the manual, the 'stage one' piping is supposed to be 1/2". Mine is 1/4". the 'second stage' piping is, however 1/2". The correct size according to the table in the manual.

I should be ok, yeah??

PleaseoPlease Lord let this work.... the Wife is gonna be *hot* if I screw this up.
However, she IS already discussing hooking the pool up to it... thats at least a step in the right direction.... :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe the heater is a 200,000 BTU appliance, which means that you have to supply it with sufficient propane to operate properly. I doubt that a 1/4" supply line will be sufficient, however the gas company should be able to determine this.

The "two-stage regulator" refers to the gas valve dropping the input pressure down to the correct pressure for the burners to work properly.

I can feel it coming.... :mrgreen:
The guy I got it from had a 500 gallon propane tank too. not from the same company, but the same size.
maybe there's enough pressure....

I can't get the Control Valve to turn either. The lighting instructions say 'depress slightly' and turn clockwise. It depresses, just doesn't turn. I've owned propane gas appliances before, :roll: it's sticking on something in the body I think. Doesn't seem to be the handle sticking.

Ok, so far.... I'm calling the propane company, I'm calling a heater guy, I'm googling for a Honeywell control valve....

this could be a 'scrap it' situation.... just saying....

but hey, I'm only out $40.00 so far.... :wink:

Yep $250 and you're just starting. BTW, the headers on that are all brass! If you decide to pitch it, I would scrap the copper out and the brass headers. You'll make your money back and then some. I usually get about $50 just for the two headers.

ps0303 said:
Yep $250 and you're just starting. BTW, the headers on that are all brass! If you decide to pitch it, I would scrap the copper out and the brass headers. You'll make your money back and then some. I usually get about $50 just for the two headers.

*THANKS* for the Heads Up!!

I got 70 bucks for the headers and copper!!
:party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.