New Pool Owner-pool pump not fully primed/air bubbles

Aug 10, 2012
I just bought a house with a pool and don't know much (yet)

evertying was fine for the first couple of days then the water level in the pool got too low. I filled the pool back up but now there are air bubbles in the pump window and return lines in the pool. I cannot get the pump fully primed with water and the pressure on the filter is 0.

the filter is an anthony pools apollo DE filter. There is only one push/pull valve. no diverters or any other valves.

I opened the air pressure valve on the filter, then opened the pump strainer basket (O ring is fine). I filled the basket with water and closed it back up and turned the power back on. Some water is getting sucked into the pump but it is not full like it was before. I've tried to run it with the push/pull valve in the up position and in the down position. I've also run it with the air valve opened and closed. In all combinations, I'm getting some water into the pump but not that much (certainly not as much as before)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!Q

You have air getting into the suction side of the system. Common causes are water level in the pool. Check to see if the skimmer is sucking air creating a vortex.
The skimmer weir sticking.
The pump basket lid o-ring. Clean & lube it well.
Pump drain plug. Check & reseal.

After you've checked those and we may be able to help more.

Yes, it turned out that the water level was too low and the backwash up/down pusher being open. Water was about 1" over the skimmer basket and when the pump went on, it was sucking air. After I filled the pool and closed the backwash pusher, the DE filter tank filled up with water and I bled the air out. Pressure went up and it works perfectly.

The pool guy told me to replace the filter. It is over 20 years old and is an Anthony Apollo DE tank. He told me no one uses DE tanks anymore and the new cartridge filter tanks are better. That plus an automatic chlorine feeder would cost around $1350 and keep the pool cleaner and with less work.

Any opinion on that?

I appreciate the help and awesome forum.

Nate

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.