Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this snake oil.

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Is this snake oil.

Hi all,
    One of my clients wants me to install a "eco-ion" system on their pool.
    Reading through the website "http://eco-ion.com"
    Here is just a taste:
    "Eco-Ion is a healthy freshwater swimming pool management system that maintains perfect pH while eliminating algae, bacteria, mold and other potentially harmful microorganisms without the use of chlorine, salt or any other harsh chemicals. Eco-Ion doesn't add to the hardness of water and virtually eliminates chemical deposits on your pool's surfaces and equipment.

The fully automated Eco-Ion System creates a cleansing ion attached to an acid-ion that when dispensed into your pool via a stream of bubbles kills microorganism upon contact. The ions then disperse leaving nothing behind but pure fresh water. "

Looks magic to me, can I get a few other profesionals to weigh in on this, or if anyone has any experiance with it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this snake oil.

Looks like "magic" to me. Might work great if you don't mind an unsafe pool with nothing in the bulk water to kill bacteria and viruses.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Considering they uploaded the template without putting any information in there makes it look amateurish at best. There's absolutely nothing indicating that they are approved by NSF.

alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I THINK that this uses hydrochloric acid and electrolysis to create a chlorine gas. A chlorine generating station without bulk salt. So you're still using chlorine and muriatic acid. I could be wrong on this but I have read something similar before and that's what it turned out to be.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by GreatCanadian
    I THINK that this uses hydrochloric acid and electrolysis to create a chlorine gas. A chlorine generating station without bulk salt. So you're still using chlorine and muriatic acid. I could be wrong on this but I have read something similar before and that's what it turned out to be.
    Interesting ... wonder why they do not mention the chlorine gas ... maybe because people would FREAK OUT
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Here is a link to a discussion about this same product last year. It may be a mute point however, since none of their websites seem to exist anymore.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatCanadian
    Interesting ... wonder why they do not mention the chlorine gas ... maybe because people would FREAK OUT
    Exactly. They try to tell you you aren't adding chlorine to your pool. I guess technically you're not. You add the acid to the tank, not the pool. And I guess YOU aren't adding chlorine to the pool, the machine is. Another money grab.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Considering they uploaded the template without putting any information in there makes it look amateurish at best. There's absolutely nothing indicating that they are approved by NSF.

alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html
    Anyone can have a wordpress blog. It takes all of 45 seconds to install. Using it for commercial purposes takes development money, and or skills, obviously neither is part of their plan if this site has been up like this for a year.

Maybe they'll blog about studies and journals and scientific facts someday?
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.